Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
DiRT Rally Benchmark
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Native Linux version is indeed still working...
Kubuntu 23.10 Nvidia RTX 4070
dpkg --add-architecture i386 for 32bit libraries needed by steam, 32bit libraries for proprietary drivers installed,

fires right up for me...
Quoting: iwantlinuxgamesNative Linux version is indeed still working...
Kubuntu 23.10 Nvidia RTX 4070
dpkg --add-architecture i386 for 32bit libraries needed by steam, 32bit libraries for proprietary drivers installed,

fires right up for me...

As I suspected it only runs reliably on Ubuntu (as of now). Which doesn’t solve the issue that weird hacky things where done in order for the game to even boot up and it apparently does not work well. Especially since I run it from flatpak steam whos runtimes are based of Ubuntu 23.04 btw. Even after forcing the the Linux Runtime 1.0 (scout) which is based off Ubuntu as well the game does not work.

The actual error is:

=== ERROR - You're missing vital libraries to run DiRT Rally
=== Either use the steam runtime or install these using your package manager
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/vortexacherontic/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
/home/vortexacherontic/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/DiRT Rally/bin/DirtRally: /home/vortexacherontic/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/pinned_libs_64/libcurl.so.4: version `CURL_OPENSSL_4' not found (required by /home/vortexacherontic/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/DiRT Rally/bin/DirtRally)

Funny enough it is lib curl in version 4 it has located and still it refuses to work with it. In fact it is even Ubuntu’s custom libcurl-gnutls.so.4 not to be found on any other Linux distribution but Debian and Ubuntu.

Also:

QuoteEither use the steam runtime
It already uses the Steam runtime ...

Followed by:

/home/vortexacherontic/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/DiRT Rally/bin/DirtRally: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL2-2.0.5.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
'DiRT Rally' quit with error code '127'.

Which is funny too because it is not finding the library the game ships on it's own.

After lengthy LD overwrites such as:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/vortexacherontic/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/DiRT\ Rally/lib/x86_64:/home/vortexacherontic/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/:/home/vortexacherontic/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ %command%
The game then finds all libraries, because they are all there, but then just core dumps...

Anyway it shouldn't be the responsibility of the user to fix broken Linux ports which just happen to work for some.
So Proton it is.

As a side note, not all Feral Ports are broken though.

XCOM 2 (Linux release: Feb 5. 2016) -> broken
XCOM 2: War of the Chosen (Linux release: Dec. 3rd 2018) -> Works with no modifications. This one even is just a DLC
Rise of the Tomb Raider (Linux release; April 19, 2018) -> Works with no modifications
Shadow of the Tomb Raider (Linux release: November 5, 2019) -> Works with no modifications
Tomb Raider (Linux release: April 27, 2016) -> broken
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (Linux release: November 3, 2016) -> broken
Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor (Linux release: July 30, 2015) -> broken
DiRT Rally (Linux release: March 2, 2017) -> broken

Looking at the release dates it seems in older Linux ports Feral did some things apparently the wrong way. Which they fixed around 2018 it seems. But then stopped doing Linux ports in 2020ish as they finally got thing in order ... *sad noises*

Edit: I just tested a few other Feral Ports and interestingly the old Dawn of War II port still works. The Linux version was released on September 29, 2016 while DiRT was one year later and does not work. 🧐

Last edited by Vortex_Acherontic on 10 April 2024 at 11:43 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.