Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Hi, i need help with wine read access denied issue.
Page: 1/4»
  Go to:
Hi, i need help regarding a wine issue.

wine: Read access denied for device L"\\??\\Z:\\",

is this common issue?

what can be done?

Application could not be started, or no application associated with the specified file.
ShellExecuteEx failed: File not found.

i get this error went pasting wine: Read access denied for device L"\\??\\E:\\", FS volume label and serial are not available.

i know 32 games cant run unless you have wine or bottles or lutris. but, i use dvd games.

i prefer cds over steam.
whizse May 3
Quoting: talionranger117wine: Read access denied for device L"\\??\\Z:\\",
That's a red herring, I see the same message in my logs all the time. The real problem is elsewhere.

Quoting: talionranger117Application could not be started, or no application associated with the specified file.
Yep, file not found, so are you in the wrong directory maybe, or did you misspell the .exe you wanted to run with Wine?
Quoting: whizse
Quoting: talionranger117wine: Read access denied for device L"\\??\\Z:\\",
That's a red herring, I see the same message in my logs all the time. The real problem is elsewhere.

Quoting: talionranger117Application could not be started, or no application associated with the specified file.
Yep, file not found, so are you in the wrong directory maybe, or did you misspell the .exe you wanted to run with Wine?

i see, that makes sense.

so the first part is normal. i had to reinstall my os cause of other issues.

its poissble i might of misspelled

i thought installing wolfenstein - platinum editoon in id software studios of c drive was good. though the default of the dvd game i have is in drive f.

i intend to type fast.

i tried installing it via winecfg.

that doesnt seem to work. when i load disc 2 and press ok. it stops the install.

so it must be something im doing wrong.
Alexander May 3
Do you know Lutris and other Helper applications? I would use one of them.
Quoting: AlexanderDo you know Lutris and other Helper applications? I would use one of them.

i tried using them. but, some of them got too confusing.

lutris seems decent. but has issues asa well with cds.

just an idea. would two external blue ray players would solve my issue?

its funny, this is the first time rtcw managed to gvie me this much problems.
Alexander May 4
I Don't know what actually is going on, you are not give much Informations at all and also i ditched Physical Optical Media many Years ago.

I have no clue what the real Problem might be now.
peta77 May 4
Hi.
For some software (i.e. VR-Video Player through Steam-Proton) i have some kind of similar issues where the application is only allowed to access to the app-directory and the proton-sandbox.
But you can add additional paths via:

PRESSURE_VESSEL_FILESYSTEMS_RO="<your absolute path(s) go here>" %COMMAND%

to gain access to other places which appear then (as drives if separate partition) in your app/game... this works recursively on the partition the path is on.. if you mounted something underneath it, you have to define that separately (i.e. symlinking doesn't work if it's a differrent mount!)
that's for steam-proton stuff... but maybe this applies also to your problem? maybe look at the wine help pages...

for steam-proton stuff these pages i found these pages to be helpful:

github: proton directory sharing documentation

github: proton runtime config options documentation
Quoting: peta77Hi.
For some software (i.e. VR-Video Player through Steam-Proton) i have some kind of similar issues where the application is only allowed to access to the app-directory and the proton-sandbox.
But you can add additional paths via:

PRESSURE_VESSEL_FILESYSTEMS_RO="<your absolute path(s) go here>" %COMMAND%

to gain access to other places which appear then (as drives if separate partition) in your app/game... this works recursively on the partition the path is on.. if you mounted something underneath it, you have to define that separately (i.e. symlinking doesn't work if it's a differrent mount!)
that's for steam-proton stuff... but maybe this applies also to your problem? maybe look at the wine help pages...

for steam-proton stuff these pages i found these pages to be helpful:

github: proton directory sharing documentation

github: proton runtime config options documentation
The OP is asking about WINE not Proton.
Just a shot in the dark but I wonder if this might be the answer. WINE is notorious for having problems with optical drives. Many of the old disc-based games have DRM requiring the install disc to be in the optical drive to launch and/or play the game. I have never succeeded in mapping to the real optical drive in Winecfg. The only solution that ever worked for me was to create a disc image on my hard drive, by copying the contents of the install disk to a folder, then using Winecfg to map that folder as an optical drive.

This will work for simple disc-check DRM but it may not work for discs with some form of copy protection DRM.

Last edited by Caldathras on 4 May 2024 at 3:46 pm UTC
Quoting: CaldathrasJust a shot in the dark but I wonder if this might be the answer. WINE is notorious for having problems with optical drives. Many of the old disc-based games have DRM requiring the install disc to be in the optical drive to launch and/or play the game. I have never succeeded in mapping to the real optical drive in Winecfg. The only solution that ever worked for me was to create a disc image on my hard drive, by copying the contents of the install disk to a folder, then using Winecfg to map that folder as an optical drive.

This will work for simple disc-check DRM but it may not work for discs with some form of copy protection DRM.

really? does rtcw have it? awhile doom 3, quake 4 and etc dont?

hmm, interesting. so rtcw has and probably some type of drm.

so for this particular game there is a chance i wont eb able to install it this time.

drm would makes sense. its weird how my other games can easily load. this one doesnt. though it makes sense.
whizse May 5
To the best of my knowledge, none of the old id Software games had any sort of disc DRM. Only a serial key check. So I don't think that's the problem.

I have also never heard of a disc copy protection used on an installer. Was that ever a thing? So I don't that's the problem either.

I'm still not sure what exactly your problem is? Does Wine or the installer crash when you insert the second disc?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.