Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Weekend Players' Club 5/24/2024
G'Day fellow tuxers……. Its Bruce your host here once again…….

[+..••] As for gaming this week in Emulationville I played [+..••]

Console

International Superstar Soccer 2000 (2000 Konami) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Soccer)
Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Football)
MVP Baseball 2005 (2005 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Baseball)
NBA Live 98 (1997 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation - Sports (Basketball)
NBA Live 2005 (2004 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Basketball)
NHL 06 (2005 EA Sports) – Nintendo GameCube – Sports (Hockey)
NHL 2002 (2001 EA Sports) – Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Hockey)
Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (2006 Konami) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Soccer)
Triple Play 2002 (2002 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Baseball)
Triple Play Baseball (2001 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Baseball)

Triple Play 2002…...

Who wants to see Mark McQwire sock a few dingers???….. or do you want to watch Randy Johnson intimidate Ned Flanders??…...

The graphics….. Are improved over the previous years game “Triple Play Baseball”…… With greater texture detail while still retaining the signature cartoonish look of the PS2…… Stadiums are also nicely updated as are nearly all the player and umpire animations……. And most important of all…... And since 2002 was still in the Steroid Era………. The players still look really Juiced…….

The sounds……. Are also improved…… ESPN Baseball commentators Bob Costas and Harold Reynolds lends their voices to the game……. There is still the issue of repeated lines but it is not as prevalent as in the previous game…… The in game music is fine and fits the baseball theme even if there is not a lot of it in game…… The menu music is as generic as it gets though…….

The controls……… The controls are simple enough……. Batting and bitching is quite easy and very accessible to new players on lower difficulties while requiring enough skill for seasoned players as the higher difficulties without being to frustrating…….

Fielding might cause a few issues for new players as you dont use the face buttons to throw to the bases……. Instead the game uses the left analogue stick and the “X” button to throw the ball to the desired base…… Which was the more common configuration back in the day……..

The storyline.…… There is no storyline so I get to make one up…… AGAIN!!!……. The rain has stopped and its a nice sunny morning…….. The Doritos pope and Nacho Nun arrive back at the factory……

April O’Neil is still tied up and dangling over a vat of Mountain Dew…….. The Ninja Turtles bodies are still on the floor after being killed by Pegnlings robot army……. “That smell is not good oh mighty pontiff” says Nacho Nun…… “Thats ok…… We can bag it and sell it as a new scented Doritos flavour…… The idiots will buy anything with our brand on it……. Now help me move to the bodies to the processing area…..” The Doritos Pope says while grabbing Leonardos lifeless ankles………

The four lifeless bodies of the Ninja Turtles are unceremoniously dumped onto a long metal bench a loud thud have be heard as each turtles shell slams against the cold metallic bench…….. The Doritos Pope leaves for a short while and returns with a very think thick old looking book under his arms…….. He slams the book onto the bench……. A loud metallic thud echos through the factory…….

Doritos Pope blows the dust of the book before opening it…… He flicks through the pages……. Scanning each page for the information that he needs……. “AH HA!” exclaims The Mighty Pontiff as he finds the right page…….

“Nacho Nun…… I need 4 bags of the following….. 3D Spicy Ranch, Spicy Sweet Chilli, Sweet and Tangy BBQ and 3D Chinch Chilli Cheese Nacho…….. I also need 4 bottles of the following…….. Code Red, LiveWire, Voltage, Freedom Fusion and Baja Blast…… got it?” The Doritos Pope commands with a gleam in his eye……. “Yes….. right away oh mighty one” Nacho Nun replies not wasting a moment before rushing off to get the the items……

“Soon……. Soon Pengling…….. I will get my revenge for you ignoring my phone calls…… I will crush you just like I crushed Pizza Tower at the last Geoff Awards”…….. The Doritos Pope says menacingly while laughing like a maniac…….

The gameplay…… Its a more arcade like baseball game……. While being simulation enough to be able to use real manager strategies……. Its baseball…… Hit and pitch your way to victory…… Or get your arse handed to you by either Barry Bonds or Randy Johnson……..

Overall…… This is a great baseball game that leans more towards the arcade side of things……. While staying simulation enough to still be considered baseball unlike Midways MLB Sugfest series….. Well worth playing if your even slightly interested in baseball or want to learn more about baseball……. Does a great job reflecting the steroid era of baseball as well….

And that is why my final score for Triple Play 2002 is a drug dealing parrot out of 10………

Triple Play 2002…...

The Road To PES Penguin 6

The road to unlock the PES Penguin in Pro Evolution Soccer 6 is at 4650 PES points out of 5000……….

Other Screenshots……...

Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo Gamecube - Sports (Football)

Triple Play Baseball (2001 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Baseball)

NHL 06 (2005 EA Sports) – Nintendo GameCube – Sports (Hockey)

International Superstar Soccer 2000 (2000 Konami) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Soccer)

NBA Live 98 (1997 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation - Sports (Basketball)

MVP Baseball 2005 (2005 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Baseball)

NHL 2002 (2001 EA Sports) – Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Hockey)

NBA Live 2005 (2004 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Basketball)

Well thats it from me…… Hope all you tuxers have a good week……

Now for my bad joke of the week……
I just found out Bruce Lee had a vegetarian brother...... Broco Lee.......
*ba dum.... tssssh…...*
Pengling May 24

My pick this week is Scout the Stray - a modern Commodore 64 game from 2022, which can be freely downloaded from the developer's itch.io page here.

It's a maze-chase game featuring a stray dog, the titular Scout, as he avoids dog-catchers and eats all of the bones found in each stage, and sometimes picks up bouncy-balls that give various types of bonuses depending on their colour, ranging from temporarily removing all of the enemies from the maze, to multiplying how many points bones are worth, to giving you a letter from the word "EXTRA" which will grant you an extra life once you get them all.

The dog versus dog-catchers themed graphics are easy to read, with a nice cartoony look to them, and the controls are spot-on. It's worth noting that the movement is more like Bomberman than Pac-Man - Scout only moves while a direction is held, rather than moving automatically until you choose to turn a corner.

Where Pac-Man has Power Pellets to temporarily ward off the ghosts, Scout has the ability to bark to scare off the dog-catchers. Whether or not he can do this is denoted by the fullness of a bar at the top of the screen, which is helpfully labelled "BARK". Unlike Pac-Man, there isn't a kill-screen - the game has a set number of levels before it ends.

I've been meaning to get around to this one for a while, and I'm having fun with it now that I have.

[+..••] Other stuff that I played this week;

Bubble Symphony (Arcade)

Bust-A-Groove (PSX)

Chippoke Ralph no Daibouken: The Adventure of Little Ralph (PSX)

Cosmic Ark (Atari 2600)

Doom II (Proton)

DoReMi Fantasy: Milon no DokiDoki Daibouken (SNES)

Saturn Bomberman (Saturn)

Scooby-Doo & Scrappy-Doo (C64)

Stumble Guys (Proton)

Super Bomberman R 2 (Proton)

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThe storyline.…… There is no storyline so I get to make one up…… AGAIN!!!……. The rain has stopped and its a nice sunny morning…….. The Doritos pope and Nacho Nun arrive back at the factory……

April O’Neil is still tied up and dangling over a vat of Mountain Dew…….. The Ninja Turtles bodies are still on the floor after being killed by Pegnlings robot army……. “That smell is not good oh mighty pontiff” says Nacho Nun…… “Thats ok…… We can bag it and sell it as a new scented Doritos flavour…… The idiots will buy anything with our brand on it……. Now help me move to the bodies to the processing area…..” The Doritos Pope says while grabbing Leonardos lifeless ankles………

The four lifeless bodies of the Ninja Turtles are unceremoniously dumped onto a long metal bench a loud thud have be heard as each turtles shell slams against the cold metallic bench…….. The Doritos Pope leaves for a short while and returns with a very think thick old looking book under his arms…….. He slams the book onto the bench……. A loud metallic thud echos through the factory…….

Doritos Pope blows the dust of the book before opening it…… He flicks through the pages……. Scanning each page for the information that he needs……. “AH HA!” exclaims The Mighty Pontiff as he finds the right page…….

“Nacho Nun…… I need 4 bags of the following….. 3D Spicy Ranch, Spicy Sweet Chilli, Sweet and Tangy BBQ and 3D Chinch Chilli Cheese Nacho…….. I also need 4 bottles of the following…….. Code Red, LiveWire, Voltage, Freedom Fusion and Baja Blast…… got it?” The Doritos Pope commands with a gleam in his eye……. “Yes….. right away oh mighty one” Nacho Nun replies not wasting a moment before rushing off to get the the items……

“Soon……. Soon Pengling…….. I will get my revenge for you ignoring my phone calls…… I will crush you just like I crushed Pizza Tower at the last Geoff Awards”…….. The Doritos Pope says menacingly while laughing like a maniac…….
Ooh, bring it, hahahaha!

Also, excellent burn against The Geoff Awards, there.

Quoting: StoneColdSpider
Some excellent faces in this week's line-up!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderNow for my bad joke of the week……
I just found out Bruce Lee had a vegetarian brother...... Broco Lee.......
*ba dum.... tssssh…...*
Haha!
Quoting: Pengling
My pick this week is Scout the Stray - a modern Commodore 64 game from 2022, which can be freely downloaded from the developer's itch.io page here.
GOD DAMMI....... Wait...... Thats not a bomberman game......... Ill forgive you this time..........

Bubble Symphony (Arcade)
I thought that was a Pocky & Rocky game at first........

Bust-A-Groove (PSX)
Pengling is playing a Sony PlayStation game???....... Who are you??? and what have you done with the REAL Pengling???......

Chippoke Ralph no Daibouken: The Adventure of Little Ralph (PSX)
What the f....... What is going in that screenshot???.....

Cosmic Ark (Atari 2600)

Doom II (Proton)
While DOOM II is good..... Its not as good as the original DOOM..... The level design is nowhere near as good.....
Also that minigun reminds me..... I like things that spin.....

DoReMi Fantasy: Milon no DokiDoki Daibouken (SNES)
He still looks a disgruntled Link....... This time on a carousel.....
Which reminds me..... I like things that spin.....

Saturn Bomberman (Saturn)
You would think BOMBerman would have a B-52 BOMBer..... Such a missed opportunity......
Oh.... Also...... GOD DAMMIT PENGLING!!!......

Scooby-Doo & Scrappy-Doo (C64)
Scrappy-Doo SUCKS!.........

Stumble Guys (Proton)
Stumble Tetris???......

Super Bomberman R 2 (Proton)
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING!!! x2........

Quoting: PenglingOoh, bring it, hahahaha!

Also, excellent burn against The Geoff Awards, there.
Lol..... Tune in soon for another exciting episode of Doritos Pope...... And Nacho Nun.......
And yes...... I had to add that Geoff Awards burn..... It seemed so fitting........

Quoting: PenglingSome excellent faces in this week's line-up!
The last one looks like a koopa.......

Quoting: PenglingHaha!
I had a funny feeling you would like that one........
Pengling May 25
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMI....... Wait...... Thats not a bomberman game......... Ill forgive you this time..........

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderI thought that was a Pocky & Rocky game at first........
It's a reference to it!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderPengling is playing a Sony PlayStation game???....... Who are you??? and what have you done with the REAL Pengling???......
That's one of my favourite games of all time, right there.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderWhat the f....... What is going in that screenshot???.....
A miniature demon is riding pigs through a town.

HAHAHAHA!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderWhile DOOM II is good..... Its not as good as the original DOOM..... The level design is nowhere near as good.....
Yeah, that's my feeling on it, too.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderAlso that minigun reminds me..... I like things that spin.....
Yikes!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderYou would think BOMBerman would have a B-52 BOMBer..... Such a missed opportunity......
Oh.... Also...... GOD DAMMIT PENGLING!!!......

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderScrappy-Doo SUCKS!.........
n0 u.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderStumble Tetris???......
Yeah - after that, the camera pans down and you navigate up the Tetris-well 3D-platformer style, with a great remix of Korobeiniki in the background.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING!!! x2........

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThe last one looks like a koopa.......
He does! Hahahaha!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.