Sol prototype for Linux :)
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Sik Nov 26, 2014
Hello everybody (・ω・)ノシ I'm somebody new to the forum though I have already wandered around in the IRC channel for quite a while.

I'm the one-man behind Azura Sun and I have been making a game called Sol. This game will be available for Linux and in fact I've decided to release a prototype of the demo version (the first three levels) for Linux users to test. Feel free to play the game =D (and report any bugs that arise, remember this game still needs bugfixing!)

Most recent release: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/forum/topic/649/page=2#4761

For now just unpack the archive and play it directly, the release version will of course be an installable package like every other normal program. Make sure to check the readme for details.

Sorry that Azura Sun's e-mail is not working right now >.< (check the contact page to see if later it gets fixed) I'll be monitoring this thread meanwhile. Enjoy! (・ω・)b

PS: mirrors of the file are welcome.

EDIT: er forgot to mention that the game doesn't have any DRM, so you're welcome. Also the executable is released under the GPL (・ワ・) I'll keep editing this post whenever something important comes off (to help people keep track of stuff easier), I'll just reply for everything else if needed.

EDIT 2: to those having problems with the files not being found, first try redownloading (I uploaded a quick patch). If not try replacing the included libraries with the distro ones if available (but you'll need to download them). No guarantees that they'll work, but can help. I included my own because of some bugfixes not present in the released SDL 2.0.3.
Sik Nov 26, 2014
Yeah, will need to see about the directory issue =/ I wonder what makes the test fail.

As for packages, initially planning to support .deb (not .rpm unless I find out an easy way to make those packages). Also do note, only 64-bit Linux. This is all for the prebuilt binaries though, in the worst case there's also the option to compile from source if really needed.

I may consider just providing a non-installable archive (like this one, but without lib shenanigans) as well if there's enough demand.

EDIT: to anybody having issues, check edit 2 in the first post.
Sik Nov 26, 2014
First it looks if the game is installed in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin, since there it needs to look the datafile in a different directory. If not (which is the case here) it'll make sure it's running from a non-root directory (more specifically in this case, somewhere within /home, /opt or /media). Note it'll accept being anywhere inside them, no matter how deep in the tree. This check is only done for security purposes, I don't want people running the game in weird places (the game also refuses to run when it has root privileges, for example).

So the error would be coming from failing to get the proper executable path for some reason.
Sik Nov 26, 2014
Bah, I'll just remove that test... Will upload a new build tomorrow, will see if there are any other bug reports to take care of meanwhile. If somebody wants to build from source and doesn't want to wait, just remove this piece of code (it's in file.c, line 163):

if (!mounted &&
   strncmp(basedir, "/home/", 6) != 0 &&
   strncmp(basedir, "/media/", 7) != 0 &&
   strncmp(basedir, "/opt/", 5) != 0) {
      abort_program(ERR_NOASSETS, NULL);
   }

EDIT: forget all that, just uploaded a quick patch that removes that check. Redownload and try again.
Speedster Nov 27, 2014
I appreciate the focus on accessibility -- will try to remember to download the demo and give feedback when I've got time (maybe on Sunday?)
Sik Nov 28, 2014
Thanks =D

Anyway, aside from library issues (ugh) and that thing I patched earlier, does anybody else have any issues?

Also it just occured to me that the level editor only retrieves the media list properly on Ubuntu, but I can't seem to find a reliable way to get it in a distro-independent manner? (I found info on how to retrieve what's mounted but not an easy way to separate system stuff from actual storage media) It's not so bad since you could just go back all the way to / and then into the correct path anyway, but better to fix it if possible.
flesk Nov 29, 2014
I haven't tried the level editor, but the game looks neat and runs well on my Kubuntu 14.04, 64 bit. I played through the first level without encountering any issues.

The game reminds me a bit of Superfrog in that the maps are huge with tons of secret passages. I've gotten a couple of power-ups that I have no idea how to use though, like the hammer and the umbrella.
Sik Nov 30, 2014
Double jump.

The problem with the level editor is in the load/save dialog, at the right is a list of pendrives and such in the system. Except that right now it only works when they're mounted in /media (in your case it would work since you're using Kubuntu). Mind you, at worst it just doesn't show them and it's just a minor annoyance, but still.
Sik Nov 30, 2014
But it's already there! o.O It doesn't work?
Sik Apr 9, 2015
Bumping this thread and sorry for posting so late but I don't have much time lately (=゚ω゚)

Still having issues figuring out the whole compatibility issue (in particular with SDL2, since it seems the other libraries don't cause trouble), so I'm just gonna be blunt: would it be OK to include a README file telling people what libraries to install if the game doesn't work? (I'd probably add checks in the script file to warn if a library may be missing just in case anyway) This is for those who don't want packages.

Also in a discussion on this topic in the SDL mailing list it seems Arch also has issues with the Steam Runtime itself in the first place (with the same workaround: replace the provided libraries with the distro-provided ones), so given it's Arch the one I know for sure to be causing trouble, maybe I just ran head straight into the same problem?

PS: can somebody here who has the problem tell me the error message you get when you try to run it from the terminal? (just copypaste it)
Sik Apr 9, 2015
OK so after some messing it seems the problem is how SDL2 handles IME input (which wasn't present in the 2.0.3 release on Linux but was added in the later development versions I was using). I will see what I do, worst case I'll just go back to 2.0.3 and go IME-less for the Linux binaries :/ (you can still build from source if you want to get it to work)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.