You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Introduce Yourself!
Page: «8/23»
  Go to:
serjor Feb 27, 2015
Hello everybody!!

My name is Sergio, 33 and I'm from Spain.

I've been using linux since... I can't remember really. Before start to use Linux I used FreeBSD, 4.2 if I remember correctly. From FBSD I jumped to Gentoo because it's portage system was very close to FBSD package management, and after been using gentoo for several months I moved to other distros, but always loving linux.
Bernardo Mar 8, 2015
Hi all !

My name is Guillaume, I'm 32, and I'm French.

I'm mainly a PC gamer (been playing PC games for around 20 years now). During my studies, I became familiar with the Linux environment, but my professionnal career led me far away from it and I haven't used a linux run computer for 10 years. Now, with all the great news regarding Linux PC Gaming, I may go back to a Linux environment.
Moreover, most games from my current favorite game publisher, Paradox, are available under linux.
enigma Mar 8, 2015
Hello!

My name is Joe, I'm 20, and from Virginia / USA. I love Linux, and have been using it since 5th grade. I like video games and gaming on Linux. I don't finish a lot of games, but I start plenty. I write software for a living.
Kimyrielle Mar 14, 2015
Hi all!

My name is Sasha, and no, I am not Obama's daughter, despite we share the same name. I live in Western Canada with my hubs and kid and I am over 40 years old...and let's just leave it at that. Anyone calling me old will get an icy cold stare. In case that will do as a deterrent... Does it?
Aaaaaanyway,I first got exposed to Linux in 1998 when games in Linux meant...errrm...well, were there any games for Linux back then other than Tux Racer? I started to use Linux "seriously" a couple years later when somebody in my workplace told me to "set up some servers, but don't spent a lot of money on software, because we don't have the budget" (yes, in case you wondered, I worked at a university!) That was the time I started to put a Tux on my desk (it's still on my desk, because I learned to really like Linux) Oh, and these servers really ran smoothly.

As for games, I play mostly RPGs and strategy games, action stuff doesn't do a whole lot for me. Among things because I am horrible at action games and usually get stuck after the first level. Which isn't fun. My newest love is Cities: Skylines (wow, let anyone but EA design a city builder and the result will be a great game!) The sore spot I hope someone will address soon is my love for good MMORPGs, sadly none of which is available for Linux. Other than that, my Linux Steam collection has everything I ever need for my gaming, which is the first time this happened since Loki went the way of the dodo, leaving the state of Linux gaming appear worse than a combo of Fallout 3 and Wasteland 2.

Looking forward to chat to you guys!
Speedster Mar 15, 2015
Quoting: Kimyrielle. Other than that, my Linux Steam collection has everything I ever need for my gaming, which is the first time this happened since Loki went the way of the dodo, leaving the state of Linux gaming appear worse than a combo of Fallout 3 and Wasteland 2.

As another GoL member put it, we're in "the second golden age of Linux gaming"... but if SteamBox takes off, we could be heading into the platinum age pretty soon ;)

So, about MMORPG... if you want to try one with turn-based combat, keep an eye out for Stash: No Loot Left Behind currently in development by a small but dedicated team with a good record for Linux support:

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/currently-crowdfunding-why-stash-no-loot-left-behind-deserves-a-penguin-clan.4283

Alpha 2 playtesting comes next week, so with a few more betas scheduled after that, I'd guess an initial public release sometime this summer. It's free btw, without being pay-to-win, so I hope plenty of fellow GoL members will give it a try -- and that enough will like it to really form a penguin clan!
Kimyrielle Mar 15, 2015
Stash looks interesting, although I am not sure how well "MMO" and "turn-based" go together (won't there be a lot of waiting involved as soon as the party gets a bit larger?) But I will definitely have a look at it, though! :)
Speedster Mar 15, 2015
Quoting: KimyrielleStash looks interesting, although I am not sure how well "MMO" and "turn-based" go together (won't there be a lot of waiting involved as soon as the party gets a bit larger?)

Have you ever played RPG board games with friends in person? That's a big inspiration for Stash -- the player avatars are currently represented like miniatures in those board games, though very very customizable (example of customizing one race http://i.imgur.com/4cYi7hY.jpg )

When playing with friendly people (of which there appear to be a lot in Stash community), the combat gameplay will be more like a tabletop RPG game, where party members offer and take advice to play out a group strategy "how about if I go over to that side and distract this guy, and then you can blast those others with a fireball without melting me?" "no... my fireball probably isn't strong enough yet to take out that big one who looks about to decapitate our hunter, shouldn't you take care of that?"

So played with people who are good at coop, there won't be a lot of boring waiting, but you would want to find a party leader who has a similar patience/impatience for discussion time so they set the turn timeout accordingly (or, if you are the party leader, recruit people who like a similar pace...)
ProfessorKaos64 May 14, 2015
I'm MikeyD, aka ProfessorKaos64. Avid Linux user since 2004, gaming since I was a kid. Owner and maintainer of LibreGeek.org, as well as several Github projects, such as the SteamOS-Tools repository at "https://github.com/ProfessorKaos64/SteamOS-Tools". Huge supporter and fan of SteamOS, Linux Gaming, and Linux in general. Proud to be a supporter of GOL. Very happy to continue to see Liam keep this site up and be a great beacon for Linux gamers out there. I tinker on multiple Linux machines (no Windows at home), VMs, and other hardware like Raspberry Pi's. Always love a good interesting problem or challenge. Hi !

Game on!
coolbober Jun 11, 2015
Hello everybody!

My name is Pawel, I'm from Poland, I'm 31 ;) I use Linux around 15 years. Mostly I'm buying linux games to support linux itself.

With Best Regards to all of you.
Pawel
psy-q Jun 21, 2015
Hey there, I'm 36, gamer on many platforms for 30 years and I'm just now getting ready to delete my Windows partition for the second time in my life, the last time was around 2004 or so. I don't know which game led me back there, but thanks to GOG, Humble Store and Valve, we really can't complain about a lack of good GNU/Linux games today.

I haven't enjoyed any epoch in gaming as much as this one so far. Indie games, retro stuff, old games rereleased, the DRM-free movement, wow! Happy to see you around here and hoping to support the Patreon for a long time.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.