You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Introduce Yourself!
Page: «16/23»
  Go to:
Adam_eM Mar 31, 2017
Hello, my name's Adam, and I'm using linux daily since 2004 I think, but the first distro I tried was Corel Linux in 2000 which was a total disaster... I mean my skills were a total disaster back then. I didn't knew what the RPM is or a package in general but somehow I've managed to install this distro, but I haven't got the mouse support even. I remember it was KDE 2.x themed to pretend win2k. It was the default theme.
Now I am using Antergos since it's easy to set up the arch system in a minute, but I just recently discovered this website, I think it was a year ago or so. Now it's the main source for any game related news, thank you :)

Also, if any of you would like to play, or simply share any thoughts, then here's my steam profile :)

../76561198081480530/
JessieWalker Apr 4, 2017
Hey I'm Jessie! I've been using Linux for about two years now but I'm hoping to learn some more :)

Nice to meet you all.
slack May 17, 2017
Hi everyone! I'm slack and only play on linux now.

Pleased to meet you!
Dunc Jul 6, 2017
I suppose I should do this, then. Hello. :)

I've been gaming since... well, the late 1970s really, starting on those home Pong clones, although I never owned one myself. I had to wait until 1982 to get my hands on hardware of my own, when I got a mighty Sinclair ZX81 for my 11th birthday. Moved on to the Spectrum after that, and my 128K machine from 1986 (the original Sinclair “toastrack”, for those who know it) is sitting on my desk right now. Still looks good.

I switched to the Amiga relatively late on, in the early '90s, because money. But it was the greatest gaming machine ever, and don't let anyone tell you different. In fact, I liked it so much I stuck with it until 2005. Believe it or not, I was still using an (expanded) A1200 as my daily driver until just 12 years ago. I've never owned a Windows PC or a Mac. (Which gives me an interesting perspective on Linux gaming, I think. Until Steam came out for Linux, I hadn't bought a new mainstream “PC” game since Commodore went bankrupt in 1994. You might think we're still in a tiny corner of the industry, ignored by the major players, but this feels like the Big Leagues compared to what I've been used to for the last 20-odd years.)

Anyway, I finally gave in and bought my first PC. Obviously it wasn't going to run anything from Microsoft, and after a few abortive tries I settled on Mandriva. Dunno why; it just “clicked” with me at the time. But when that release approached end-of-life in 2007, I started distro-hopping, and eventually discovered Arch. It was... perfect. The Arch Way just made sense to me. Now, I wouldn't say this on the Arch forums, but I feel much of what I liked about it has been diluted over the years and it feels a lot less “special” than it used to, however I'm still using it on all my machines since none of the alternatives seem much better. (Void definitely has my interest, though...)

There have been a few consoles along the way, mostly a generation old at the time (I bought a second-hand Gamecube just before the Wii came out, making it, for about a month, the first “current” gaming platform I'd owned since my early days with the Amiga, about 15 years earlier), although the Xbox 360 was my main gaming machine for a good few years.

But not any more. :D

(Crikey. That was longer than I intended. Hey... it's a long story, right?)
DrBed Jul 13, 2017
Hello,
I'm DrBed, I'm all fart and love Linux. And gaming. And gaming @ Linux.
Retro, if possible.
Also I'm addicted to C64, so VICE is my main portal to gaming.
And so on...
Long live the GOL!
MacGyver88 Jul 25, 2017
Hi,
I have been using Linux and reading GOL over 3 years now so finally decided to register! :D
There is so much games on Linux these days that I can do 99% of my gaming with it. There is still That other OS lurking somewhere in my hard drive but I really don't need to use it unless I really want to play some special game.
Other than just gaming I'm using Linux for my hobbyist gamedev projects and for learning to program.
Cheers!
EverLinux Sep 8, 2017
Hi,
Quited win because it carries so much task/backgound services non-saying about the big brother issue. I asked myself how many time I would be able to drop it. 4 years later, my own regret is to don't make this choice earlier!
Long life to Linux and obviously to GamingOnLinux!
goldenk Sep 9, 2017
Hello, I've been using linux on and off for a few years. Arch is my distro of choice. Learning the "Arch way" was definitely tough for me but I like the philosophy behind it. I came from console gaming then to windows pc gaming now linux... I just wish Dark Souls worked on our platform. That's the only thing that kinda pulls at me.
krisguy Sep 11, 2017
I'm Kris. I've been playing with Linux and FLOSS operating systems for almost twenty years. I work for a company called OPENSOURCEPCs that make laptops with Ubuntu and custom cases (think wraps, engraving, paint, etc). I'm also big into 3D printing and Python, Perl, and just trying to be a nice guy in a world full of trolls.

I'm krisguy787 on most gaming services, and I have a Mixer channel that I use, and a Twitch one I don't. OBS with FTL on Mixer will make you rethink 30-60 second chat delays on Twitch.
charro Sep 18, 2017
Hi everybody !!

I'm Charro, just joined a few days ago after getting aware of the existence of this great site !! I don't know how I didn't find it before.

Linux user since 1997 (wow, 20 years already! I feel quite old ^ ^) and also Game developer, in a professional way and when I find the time, as an indie, for myself (Here is my GitHub and itch.io in case someone wants to try the only game I have right now: https://github.com/charro https://charro.itch.io/spain1940)

I still have dual boot with Windows in my machine, but since long time ago (more than 10 years probably), only and exclusively because still some games don't run properly with Wine.

My only dream is that one day I would finally be able to delete that Windows partition forever because SteamOS is reality and all my Steam lib is there.

About Linux playing right now, I've just finished XCOM: Enemy Unknown (I love it !!) and start playing Shadows of Mordor (REALLY THANK YOU FERAL GAMES FOR MAKING THE PORTING OF THIS GAMES TO LINUX !!)

Cheers !
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.