Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.

GRID (2019) is showing signs of coming to Linux

GRID, the 2019 racer from Codemasters is showing some signs that a Linux port may be on the horizon going by some info taken from SteamDB.

On the SteamDB page, recently a bunch of clear Linux entries appeared. To be clear though, it's never a guarantee of anything and we're speculating about it at this point. Since Codemasters already have multiple titles on Linux, the majority of which were ported to Linux by Feral Interactive (Virtual Programming did one), it makes it more likely this is coming.

While it currently has a version on Stadia, so you can play it by streaming it, it's not quite the same as a local copy that you can tune especially for your rig. Stadia is still very new too, and for some it's simply not playable. So, if this turns from speculation and rumour into a real port it will be very welcome.

You can see the release trailer below:

If we see any more or if it gets confirmed, we will let you know here on GOL. We reached out to Codemasters to see if they had anything to say about it.

Hat tip to NuSuey.

gustavoyaraujo 9 April 2020 at 9:54 pm UTC
Well, if it's already running on stadia, doens't look so much work to get it on the pinguin OS.
The_Aquabat 9 April 2020 at 10:10 pm UTC
looking foward to this one... I also put hundred of hours into Grid Autosport, I played project cars a lot on proton (works ootb), and Grid autosport is a much, much better game. imho.

Last edited by The_Aquabat on 9 April 2020 at 10:10 pm UTC
vskye 10 April 2020 at 2:11 am UTC
Liam Dawe
vskyeAny reason the like button is replaced with a bookmark tag?
It has not, the bookmark button is entirely separate, some plugins (hello adblock plus) seem to block our like button based on the CSS style class name. We've already been in touch with them about it. Other plugins that use similar block lists are likely also doing it.

Ps. For site issues, please use the forum not a random article.

Thanks, and noted.
kosmiclinux 10 April 2020 at 2:12 am UTC
Great! it sounds good to me, im gonna play a lot.
Pangaea 10 April 2020 at 4:15 am UTC
Speaking of older racing games, we played Colin McRae Rally many winters ago. Great fun. But kinda frustrating as well, because it was so easy to crash and mess up your car.

And Stunts of coure.... Amazing graphics!
slaapliedje 10 April 2020 at 5:13 am UTC
I should try some of the racing games I have again woth support for VR under Proton. I don't know if this one supports VR or not though.
Audi 10 April 2020 at 2:40 pm UTC
I've been a fan of Codemaster for a long time, since I first played TOCA Race Driver 2. I then played Colin Mcrae 2005. I've gotten all the Grid and Dirt games since. I would love to see this come to Linux under Vulkan.

Since the game has a Vulkan engine, for it to run on Stadia, here is to hoping we get a native Vulkan port to Linux. We don't have too many 'native' Vulkan games. I am not counting the Feral ports, as the newer ones do use Vulkan, they are all native DX11 or DX12 engines that Feral has ported to Vulkan, which is an amazing feat and I very much enjoy Dirt 4, Shadow of Mordor, Tomb Raider, etc...but games which actually have a Vulkan engine, are rare, even on Windows. And only a handful have been ported to Linux.
Mohandevir 10 April 2020 at 3:32 pm UTC
Dunc
MohandevirGrid Autosport... Still the sim racing game I played the most. Since it looks similar, I'll be looking forward to this one.

Yeah, it doesn't have a good name among serious sim racers.

This. Probably the reason why it's my favorite racing game. Much easier to handle than other "hardcore" racing sims.
Morguldir 10 April 2020 at 3:41 pm UTC
Hey Liam, how did you find out about this?
Perkeleen_Vittupää 10 April 2020 at 6:09 pm UTC
MorguldirHey Liam, how did you find out about this?

Linux depots that appeared here:

• Turn Around: „Blackguards“ (Wine)