Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal, Flattr, Liberapay or Buy us a Coffee. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.

Come tell us about what you've been gaming on Linux lately

Another week down, plenty of new games have released or been updated and we're about to begin another cycle. Let's have a chat.

With the recent huge Stellaris 2.7 update, we were going to be diving into a fresh multiplayer game with excitement to look at all the new visuals. Sadly though, it appears the latest update has numerous problems that caused all sorts of lag and sync issues. Thankfully, Paradox keep around older versions on Steam you can opt into with the 2.6.x series still working well. Issues aside, Stellaris is such a fantastic RTS overall to sink a great many hours into.

Into the Breach has also been sucking up more time lately, as a small and focused strategy game it's pretty close to perfection. I'm really not surprised it has reviewed so well. Subset Games also continue to tweak the Linux build to ensure it's running smoothly.

Across today though I've been quite sick, so thanks to Stadia I've been able to just sit back and relax with a flawless Assassin's Creed Odyssey experience to just zone-out with. It's nice to have another option if your net is good enough. The developer of firefighting game Embr also sent over a pre-release Stadia key to us, and it's quite amusing. Something to look forward to when it arrives in Early Access next week (no Linux desktop release for now).

I'm also highly jealous of everyone who has a VR kit now that Half-Life: Alyx is available on Linux. Hopefully it's working well, it looks pretty incredible and sounds like Valve did a really fantastic job on it. Half-Life: Alyx has now passed twenty-five thousand user reviews on Steam too!

Additionally, while I've not played it myself, it appears DOOM Eternal became the first game to get the brand new Denuvo Anti-Cheat (different to the DRM). This made it instantly unplayable on Linux under Steam Play Proton. Another thorn in our side. However, according to TechRaptor who spoke to Michail Greshishchev, Product Owner at Denuvo Anti-Cheat they said:

We've been tracking the Proton issue immediately after launch and are committed to delivering a fix soon. This isn't a request coming to us from a publisher or anything like that - we genuinely respect such an enthusiast community and regret introducing this incompatibility on day 1

So at least there's some sort of hope on the horizon about DOOM Eternal single-player working again on Linux under Proton.

Quick tip for parents: currently on Steam the LEGO NINJAGO game is 100% off making it free to keep, seems to work well in Steam Play proton. That deal will last until May 22.

Over to you in the comments: what have you been gaming on Linux lately?

Tags: Community, Misc

NeoTheFox 17 May 2020 at 8:10 pm UTC
Of course Terraria! But also Nimbatus, that game is really cool on Programmer difficulty
kean 17 May 2020 at 8:13 pm UTC
I usually play ARK via Proton, Stellaris, and Dota Underlords. However, I play a lot of Lego and local coop gamepad games with the kids
anewson 17 May 2020 at 8:13 pm UTC
Been obsessed with Hades from Supergiant. I'm a Supergiant fan and this is the best game they've made IMO. It's in EA but in name only, they game is already overstuffed with content. If you're even a middling fan of roguelite or Supergiant this is a must-buy. Unfortunately the experience with proton is playable but fairly poor, so I hope they release a native version at launch.
psy-q 17 May 2020 at 8:15 pm UTC
The Witcher 3 (still! been trying to finish it for weeks) but also a nice native surprise: Zaccaria Pinball. The "remake" and "deluxe" type tables are faster and somewhat closer to what you'd get in e.g. Pinball FX3. And the latter doesn't run on Linux/Proton because of anticheat.

Last edited by psy-q on 18 May 2020 at 5:16 am UTC
Ehvis 3 years 17 May 2020 at 8:20 pm UTC
Obviously Half-Life: Alyx. Only played a little bit on Proton, so it was time to start for real now. Hands down the best VR game so far. It looks fantastic (which is quite rare in VR) and runs smooth as silk.

Other than that I've been sampling loads of unplayed games.
Dragunov 17 May 2020 at 8:21 pm UTC
I've been playing a lot of Yugioh Duel Links via Proton on Steam. It has cross-platform multiplayer and me and my nephew are having a lot of fun dueling each other.
Patola 17 May 2020 at 8:22 pm UTC
I just installed Grand Theft Auto V Premium Edition that Epic Games Store is giving for free, and it is working great via lutris-5.7-fshack wine runner.

Apart from that, continuing my "adventures with the Valve Index", I have been trying a lot of VR games, some turn out to be great, like Elite: Dangerous, Overload, Sublevel Zero Redux, Distance, American Truck Simulator and Payday 2, all of them unfortunately via Proton, others are dizzying and crappy, like Dota2VR, Portal Stories: VR and No Man's Sky, and even Borderlands 2 VR. And of course, there's the newly native Half-Life: Alyx, which is visibly better native than it was via proton, making it even more fun than it was -- this game will likely be recognized as one of the most innovative games ever, mark my words. Watching the gameplays doesn't really give you any idea of what is it to play it by yourself, and the feeling of "actually being there" -- my own memory insists that I have been to real places. VR is really the next wave, the 50% growth of VR on Steam last month tells that clearly.

Speaking of Elite: Dangerous, the fact that it has such an immersive VR implementation, coupled with the fact that it is kind of "forcing" me now to properly using my HOTAS, and the extra fact that I am able to use it properly with my own wine joystick patch build, is giving me one of the best space experiences ever, so much that I am kind of putting my beloved X4: Foundations and Star Citizen aside. I did not foresee that, but I am having a hell of an experience.

Unfortunately, there is a huge downside of the current state of VR on Linux, which is -- it's difficult as hell to tell others of your experience, because most things that would allow this do not work. Many games do not mirror VR in the screen for you to stream or record, SteamVR does not share access to the VR headset so that other programs could record it, and even the screenshot hotkey from the Index Controllers does not work on Linux yet. So I have no screenshots to present, to tell my tales. :-(

Last edited by Patola on 17 May 2020 at 9:05 pm UTC
Shmerl 17 May 2020 at 8:33 pm UTC
Still playing The Witcher 3. With expansions, it's a really huge game. Enjoying the soundtrack.

Last edited by Shmerl on 17 May 2020 at 8:43 pm UTC
Kithop 17 May 2020 at 8:43 pm UTC
Some of mine, lately, console stuff like Animal Crossing notwithstanding
  • Empyrion: Galactic Survival via Proton which works basically flawlessly

• Hearts of Iron IV (yay Paradox Grand Strategy)

• Tabletop Simulator for my friends' D&D sessions (bonus: I learned how to import & convert the .STL from HeroForge in Blender to import it!)

• 7 Days to Die not super recently, but we had a dedicated server + long term build going - will come back to this for sure]

• Factorio one of my friends are big into this and want to drag me back in for a session soon

• Eco on a break from it for right now but eagerly following along with the upcoming 9.0 update

Expalphalog 17 May 2020 at 8:47 pm UTC
Dragon Quest XI.

I recognize the complaints about it being too old-school or not bringing anything new to the table, but dammit I don't care. The first Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior here in the states) was the game that really got me into video games. I, like most kids my age, enjoyed Super Mario and Zelda and whatnot but enjoyed playing outside with my dogs more. Then Nintendo Power, a magazine that my grandmother bought me a subscription for as a birthday present, sent me a free copy of Dragon Warrior. I was 10 years old and have been obsessed with RPGs, both computerized and tabletop, ever since. My mother hated how much time I spent on that game and refused to buy me the sequel when it was released. So this, thanks to Proton, is the first Dragon Quest game I have played since the original sucked me into its world 30 years ago. So I don't give a flying rat crap that the game feels 'too old' - it feels exactly like what I wanted to be. It feels like Dragon Warrior.

Last edited by Expalphalog on 17 May 2020 at 10:30 pm UTC

None currently, submit yours here!