I'm such a sucker when it comes to traditional styled RTS games so I couldn't pass up on checking out Eudora. Originally made for the DOS Games Jam back in early 2020, it's continued to be polished up and is a surprisingly great little free RTS.
"As was common with games of this era, gameplay focuses on resource collection, power management, and basebuilding (including walls and other base defenses). A clickable minimap is enabled after building the Radar structure.
Ten buildable units (plus a superweapon ability) can be used to destroy the enemy forces across seven maps, including special stealth and survival scenarios, with some featuring bonus units not normally accessible without cheat codes.
Eudora is fully voiced, and the soundtrack was produced with OPL2 & OPM emulators."
Just recently the developer put up a 2.1 update that mentioned a nice surge in interest after getting a Linux build. The blog post mentions how 99% of it was made by a single person, and so there might still be some rough edges. Impressive though! Here's the main changes in this release:
- Compiled under YYC on both Windows/Linux for much much improved performance, especially in maps with lots of AI
- Music tracks can now only loop twice
- Renamed "Flak" to "Autocannon Tank"
- Sounds now have a maximum simultaneous play count, to avoid things getting a little too loud with explosions (especially with headphones on)
- Normalized problematic audio gain levels
- Lots of bug fixes
The post also mentions the original developer is working on a Eudora 2 so that should be interesting!
Check it out free on itch.io. You can also donate if you like it.