Not only does the alternative open source Epic Games Store client Heroic Games Launcher have a new release out with 1.8.0 'Arlong' it's also gone multi-platform. With support expanding from Linux onto Windows and MacOS, this is now available to even more players.
In addition to the extra platforms it also brings in some new features, some of which really do improve the way Heroic works overall.
- Support for Windows and MacOS.
- Added recent games on the tray icon and a filter on the library.
- Added Discord RPC support (except Linux AppImages)
- Submenu now is always visible on Game Page.
- It's possible to update a game from the game page now by clicking on the update information instead of opening the settings like before.
- Added error message if Python version is lower than 3.8 on Linux since Legendary won't work with it.
- Added a warning message when the credentials have expired.
- Added Greek Language
- Added Simplified Chinese language
- Added shortcuts on Desktop and Applications menu. You can toggle a default setting to always create the shortcuts from settings
- Added button to create shortcuts from the Game Page.
- Improved Winetricks and Winecfg handlers and they should work now with proton 6.3+
- Fixed save-sync folder when using Proton
- Fixed Proton Path for Steam Flatpak
- Added STEAM_COMPAT_CLIENT_INSTALL_PATH variable when launching a game with proton since it's needed from Proton versions 6.3+.
- Improved Logging when running from the terminal.
Nice to see one of my own requests made it in, with recently launched games being listed in the system tray icon so you can quickly launch them again without opening the app. This is what I love about such open source projects, anyone can help them grow and improve with even just simple feedback.
A lot more is planned too including gamepad support in the UI, a downloads queue, auto-updating for games and of course more spit and polish on the overall experience.
You can download Heroic from GitHub.