Slow, lots of reading involved and pretty deep mechanically with lots to keep an eye in, Vagrus - The Riven Realms is officially out now. Not one for gamers who want constant action. Vagrus is a game about heading up a travelling caravan that goes through a completely ruined world.
Vagrus is a game that blends quite a few different genres together. It has open-world exploration done through a world-map, which leads into exploring new locations where you will learn about the world and trade to keep your caravan going. Then there's also the brutal turn-based combat, which has a couple different types.
- Explore a dark hand-crafted sandbox world that you’re free to discover and explore.
- Experience a branching narrative with over 1 million words of story and events.
- Soak up extensive lore through the game’s vast Codex, that delves deep into the game’s universe, born from the studio's decades of pen and paper campaigns.
- Engage in deep turn-based combat and fight with your comitatus and companions in strategic, challenging encounters.
- Court 10 warring factions and align yourself to unique groups with their own complex principals and relationships. Who will you choose as opponents, adversaries, affiliates and allies?
- Encounter unique characters and recruit fully-developed companions to your caravan to serve in versatile roles, such as scoutmaster, quartermaster or guard captain.
- Manage your crew and prepare for treacherous journeys through careful planning. Effectively managing your supplies, cargo, and crew is key to survival.
- Enjoy stunning art, with digitally hand-painted maps, environments, and 2D artwork.
It's pretty tough to get into but if you appreciate good working and great artwork, it's worth keeping at it. There's quite a lot of micro-management involved too, with lots to do constantly. Vagrus is all about overcoming a constant challenge. The world is not an easy place to be and it makes that very clear through various encounters.