With a graphical style inspired by classic DOS games, Beyond Sunset is probably one of the absolute most promising looking retro shooters coming.
"SUNSET CITY, CALIFORNIA - 20XX: You've been awakened from cryostasis. Your name, your identity, your memories… All lost in the confusing fog of hypersleep. Not only a stranger in a strange place, you begin to manifest powerful abilities. Lightning-fast reactions. Innate combat skills. Near-supernatural agility. You’re not like everyone else.
Your talents are quickly recognized. A mysterious woman named Yuri makes you an offer you can’t refuse. In exchange for putting your talents to use as a street samurai, she will use her resources to discover your identity and restore your lost memories. She welcomes you to a community of other extraordinary individuals who share your unique abilities, and are united by a common cause."
In development with a release planned for 2023, which the developer previously confirmed for Linux too, it's recently gained a new Story Trailer.
- Lo-Fi aesthetic: Graphics inspired by classic DOS first-person shooters from the era of Doom and Duke Nukem 3D.
- Fluid movement: High-octane first person action with advanced movement for dashing, sliding and other acrobatics.
- RPG Elements: Interact with NPCs, learn the lore of Sunset City, take side missions and upgrade your abilities.
- Music: Hear an original vaporwave soundtrack composed by synthwave legend Karl Vincent.
- Mod support: Create and share your own levels, weapons and more with richly-featured free and open-source tools.
Looks awesome. Gimme!
The developer has announced that they're launching a Patreon campaign next month, so they can pull in funds to continue developing it.