fheroes2 is a constantly improving game engine reimplementation of Heroes of Might and Magic II. A new version was just released recently and it's become the absolute best way to play this classic.
A multi-platform project, one that was written from scratch so there's never any worry about a rights holder appearing to take it down. It's very much like OpenMW for Morrowind and OpenXcom for the original X-Com. It's not a basic remake though, as the developers are also trying to improve old issues in the original.
Changes highlight for version 0.9.12:
- Make AI heroes to create complex paths over water and land and even through whirlpools
- Fix remaining issues with object passabilities on a map
- Add ability to generate German letters for any version of the game and update Russian, Polish, German and French translations
- Fix multiple places with battle logic and interface
- Add Betrayal scenarios for Roland and Archibald campaigns
- Add ability to view dead monster information during battle
- Over 60 bugs fixed since 0.9.11 release