While Elgato continue to ignore the Linux market, developers from around the community end up creating applications to fill the gap. Now there's Boatswain, which allows Linux users to control Elgato Stream Deck devices.
It's not the first of its kind, with streamdeck_ui also being an option (I covered it back in 2019) that is still being updated. More options are good though! Why make a new one anyway? In a blog post, the developer mentioned they "did not find these apps adequate to my usage".
Some of what they're focusing on for the first release includes:
- Backend code to detect Stream Deck devices, open them, upload images to buttons, and change the brightness of the device
- Folders, profiles, and multiactions
- OBS Studio integration: start & stop streaming, start & stop recording, switch to a scene
- Sound player, initially focusing on playing sound effects
- App launching
They will also be considering these too:
- Chat integration with various streaming services (Twitch, YouTube, etc)
- Window management actions through a custom GNOME Shell extension
- More features to OBS Studio integration, such as showing & hiding sources, recording to the replay buffer, etc
- Enhanced sound player with different playlists and MPRIS integration
The developer of Boatswain even made a little introduction video:
I'll be keeping an eye on this one to let you know how it goes.