Do you love programming? How about real-time strategy games? Check out the new Native Linux release of Screeps: Arena. This is the second game in the series, with the first being Screeps: World that was released back in 2016 and gained a positive rating (and still has players too).
While Screeps: World was a persistent MMO, Screeps: Arena brings things down to be more like a traditional RTS that might end up appealing to a much wider variety of players. It's online only and PvP, where your scripts fight off against others autonomously. Actually sounds quite fun, if you enjoying writing a few lines first.
Some of the features available include:
- All aspects of an RTS game: gathering resources, base building, creating and upgrading units.
- Other languages are supported via WebAssembly: C/C++, Rust, TypeScript, Go, C#, F#, Kotlin, Swift, D, Pascal, Zig, the list is growing.
- Your code is executed autonomously while fighting other players' code during series of short fast-paced 1x1 matchups.
- The system will match equal opponents based on your arena rating that changes with every rating game.
- You can find an equal opponent instantly 24/7 even if no other players are online, since their saved code is used instead.
- Different "arenas" (multiplayer game modes) each with its own rules set and goals covering many aspects of a strategy game.
- Only basic programming skills are required. However, if you are a pro developer, now is the chance to put your skills to the limit!
- We will introduce new arenas every season so that you always have to write new code for different challenges.
- Earn daily fame, gain resources and craft items to unlock more content during the season.
- Play with friends and design your own challenges and arenas.
You can buy it on Steam in Early Access, there's also a demo available.