Crypt of the NecroDancer from Brace Yourself Games is a truly wonderful mix of dungeon crawling and a rhythm game that released back in 2015. It just got a huge surprise update and more is on the way.
Crypt of the NecroDancer is an award winning hardcore roguelike rhythm game. Move on the beat to navigate an ever changing dungeon while battling dancing skeletons, zombies, dragons, and more. Groove to the epic Danny Baranowsky soundtrack, or select songs from your own MP3 collection!
Some of what's new includes:
- A no beat mode, to make it easier for some players.
- Save and Quit anytime.
- Reduced loading time.
- Improved controller support via Steam Input, with gamepad-specific button symbols and Steam Deck support.
- An overhauled custom music system supporting MP3, OGG and FLAC formats.
- Linux gets a Native file-picker for custom music.
- New and Improved Co-op.
- A new level editor.
- Added a fully redesigned mod loader and modding menus.
- And loads more.
Considering that this is only the start, I'm very curious to see what they have cooking up as they said " this is a precursor to something bigger coming your way, and we want to make sure that we address some of the community’s most significant feedback before we get there".
Since I love the game (although I am horrible at it), I wanted to see how it was on the Steam Deck now so here's a little attempt at it today:
Don't judge me, I'm rubbish but it's such a gem.
There does seem to be a bug with the Steam Input configuration though. I had to pick a different profile, then back to the new official one for it to actually detect input. Apart from that it seems great on Deck.