Looking more promising than ever, the in-development free and open source RPG Veloren has a big new release out. A fully original open source game although it does take inspiration from Cube World, Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft.
Some of what's new in this release includes:
- Modular weapons
- Real-time weather: rain, wind, thunder, lightning
- Cliff towns
- Interconnected cave networks with cave biomes
- LoD trees (looks more visually interesting far-off)
- More character customisation options
- NPC personalities
- Loot ownership for drops from mining
- New ambience sounds
- Slider for ambience volume
- + Loads more
Good to see it continue to advance. It's properly playable, although a lot of the work currently is still going into the technical implementations of all the features so it's not quite a proper game yet, still somewhat fun to go exploring in though.