NVIDIA GPU owners on Linux, it's your time to test something new. NVIDIA have released a Beta driver with version 525.53.
As always with anything with a Beta tag: here be dragons. It may have issues that will be solved in the next Stable release, so if you want a solid experience stick to your current drivers. It's not usually too long before NVIDIA drivers go from Beta to Stable.
Here's all that's changed:
- Fixed a bug which caused Dynamic Boost to not engage on certain Ampere GPU based notebooks.
- Added support for Dynamic Boost on notebooks with AMD CPUs.
- Fixed a bug that resulted in stutter when moving windows in GNOME.
- Added support for the EGL_MESA_platform_surfaceless extension.
- Updated the nvidia-settings control panel to prevent the creation of display layouts that exceed hardware size limitations when using the SLI Mosaic configuration page, and to display a warning if such a layout is created manually in the Display Configuration page.
- Removed the hard dependency on GTK 2 when building nvidia-settings from source. nvidia-settings may now be built with support for GTK 2 only, GTK 3 only, or both GTK 2 and GTK 3.
- Updated the open kernel modules to support Quadro Sync, Stereo, rotation in X11, and YUV 4:2:0 on Turing.
- Updated an error message that nvidia-installer displays when kernel header files cannot be found to print full paths for the missing files.
- Updated nvidia-installer to use "command -v" in place of depending on "which" to determine the availability and location of certain tools.
- Implemented support for over-the-air updates in the Proton and Wine NVIDIA NGX build. This feature is disabled by default and can be enabled by setting the "PROTON_ENABLE_NGX_UPDATER" environment variable to a value of "1".
- Updated the Vulkan driver so that the following extensions no longer depend on nvidia-uvm.ko being loaded at runtime:
- * VK_KHR_acceleration_structure
- Updated nvidia-installer to allow use of the "--add-this-kernel" feature by non-root users.
- Updated nvidia-installer to display a more accurate progress bar when building the kernel modules.
- Updated nvidia-installer to display a warning message if a Vulkan ICD loader is not detected.
- Reworked nvidia-installer's support for DKMS: the kernel modules will now be optionally registered with DKMS after the installer has already built and installed them on its own. nvidia-installer will now register the kernel modules with DKMS by default when the dkms(8) utility is detected on the system.
- Fixed a bug in the Vulkan driver which could lead to corruption in geometry and tessellation control shaders.
- Added a new CUDA Debugger implementation for Pascal and newer architectures as a part of the driver package: libcudadebugger.so (previously released separately as "CUDA GDB Developer Preview").
- Updated the nvidia-settings control panel to correctly limit the allowed values for GPUTargetFanSpeed to match the existing valid fan speed ranges for supported NVIDIA GPUs. The valid ranges are 30%-100% for Ampere or newer GPUs, and 1%-100% for older GPUs.
- Fixed a regression in 515.76 that caused blank screens and hangs when starting an X server on RTX 30 series GPUs in some configurations where the boot display is connected via HDMI.
- Fixed a bug where Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered would sometimes crash with Xid 13 errors on Turing and later.