Dead Cells: Return to Castlevania is an upcoming mini expansion for the popular action-platformer metroidvania game from Motion Twin / Evil Empire coming early this year.
It was originally announced at The Game Awards 2022 which I covered in my big round-up and now the developer is teasing it more again.
As ridiculously brief as the teaser is, I can't help but feel terribly excited about it. Truthfully, I wasn't even a Castlevania fan until very recently, I never really played the older games and wasn't until watching the truly incredible Castlevania Anime on Netflix that I felt pulled into the world. You really should watch it, truly excellent.
The new teaser:
What the DLC will come with:
- Classic Weapons: Unlock 14 iconic weapons such as the Vampire Killer, Throwing Axe & Holy Water to decimate Dracula's bestiary of monsters and finally the dark lord himself. Each item has been translated into the fast-paced combat of Dead Cells while keeping their original essence.
- Explore Dracula's Castle: Secret rooms. Flame-lit corridors. Gloomy tombs. Beautiful paintings. Food hidden in the walls. Full of original monsters from the series, such as harpies, werewolves & haunted armors, the character of the iconic castle will transport you into the realms of gothic fantasy.
- Classic and Reimagined Music: We're giving you access to an alternative soundtrack made of 51 of the original Castlevania tunes, that can be heard across the entire game. Yes, 51! On top of this, we've taken the 12 most iconic tracks, such as Vampire Killer, Bloody Tears and Simon Belmont's Theme, and reimagined them in the style of Dead Cells as a soundtrack for this DLC, while preserving the Castlevania ambiance of course.
- A New Story: Richter Belmont and Alucard will be by your side throughout your quest to vanquish Dracula, helping you to navigate the maze of Dracula’s Castle and providing you with strong weapons (sometimes willingly, sometimes not). However, where there is good there is evil, so watch out for powerful foes who will try everything in their power to stop you from reaching the throne room.
- Three Boss Fights: Fight against the very essence of evil in two intense duels versus Death and Dracula, both set against a majestic backdrop. If you can survive these gauntlets, prepare yourself for our most ambitious boss showdown yet...
- Castlevania Outfits: Unlock 20 outfits as you progress through the castle, letting you roleplay as all your favourite characters like Alucard, Richter Belmont, Simon Belmont, Maria Renard, Trevor Belmont, Sypha Belnades or even Dracula himself.
With Native Linux support and it's Steam Deck Verified, you're in for a good time even before this DLC release.