In the latest Beta release for Steam from May 5th, Valve finally did some more work on scaling the UI of the Steam Client. Quite overdue isn't it?
From the release notes they mentioned Steam will now use the global scale factor as configured via KDE or GNOME settings, specifically from
org.gnome.desktop.interface/text-scaling-factor. Valve has also re-introduced GDK_SCALE as a fallback, and there's also a command line switch to let you override it with
-forcedesktopscaling float now available.
Other fixes in the Beta from May 5th include:
- Fixed big black rectangle sometimes showing up in small mode at start time.
- Fixed context menus sometimes getting squashed in small mode.
- Fix Right Trackpad Click in the controller binding listening page being bound to Left Stick Click.
- Improved digital navigation in GamePad Action Binding Tab when selecting LED Color Action.
All these changes also apply to the Steam Deck.
There was also an update on May 4th that I missed as well, as Valve are working to fix up all the issues that came along with the newer UI and the new Steam Overlay. For desktop here's the changes:
- Fixed issues with navigating forward and back when the client's start page is the Library
- Tweaked the order and presentation of some items in the account menu
- Fixed library artwork not automatically updating in some cases
- Fixed developer, publisher, and franchise links not working in game info panel
- Fixed some formatting issues on downloads page
- Made download throttle setting field honor the bits-per-second/bytes-per-second toggle setting
- Changed default display of download rate to bits per second.
- LED Personalization now has has dedicated sub-page in Controller Calibration page
- Fixed issue where the cursor position would be reset in Game Notes after auto-saving
- Fixed Send Trade Offer opening in the system browser
- Fixed Add to Favorites / Remove from Favorites not dismissing the context menu in some instances
- Fixed screenshots failing to upload when certain privacy settings were selected
- Fixed UI glitch when deleting a local screenshot's caption
- Added cloud sync status icon to Game Notes dialog. If there's a Steam Cloud conflict, clicking on that icon will display a cloud conflict resolution dialog.
- Fixed issue with Friends List context menu items not opening links in the overlay web browser (e.g. "View Profile" or "Send Trade Offer")
- Fixed issue where some dialogs were not appearing correctly (e.g. Invite Friend to Game, Add Friend, etc.)
- Fixed the file picker dialog not showing any files when browsing for an app icon
- Fixed the Steam Runtime info dialog not showing any information
The majority of that was also on Steam Deck too, although most of it is for desktop mode.
The new design is starting to feel quite a lot more stable now, as it was a bit rough with the recent major Beta upgrade.