Well, there goes basically all of my free time. Halls of Torment blends together retro Diablo with Vampire Survivors and it was already horribly addictive and now I fear I'm going to be sucked in again.
This new update has expanded the game quite a lot, surprisingly so. Firstly there's a new 'Class Marks' feature that allows you to pick traits for your character from other classes, although it needs you to finish certain quests.
There's also a new 'Agony Mode' that unlocks once you defeat the Lord of a stage. Agony Mode makes the monster count, monster health, and XP drops dynamically scale based on your performance. So agony increases the more you kill, and reduces the more that's left alive. Here you'll find uncommon items, additional champions will spawn and they are randomized with extra modifiers and abilities and these champions will drop various rewards for you.
Some of the other new stuff:
New stage: Frozen Depths
- Can be unlocked by defeating the frost knight on the Forgotten Viaduct.
- New unknown enemies await with 3 unique bosses and a new lord.
- The stage layout limits your movement and requires you to navigate carefully through the caves while avoiding getting encircled by foes.
New elemental effect: Frost
- Frost explodes and deals damage in an area when the affected monster dies or 20 stacks have been accumulated.
- If the frost effect runs out it triggers with only half of its damage.
- Frost deals damage based on the number of stacks.
- The strongest hit that applied frost determines the area of the effect.
- Dual wielding axe fighter boosting your physical abilities.
- When he hits a certain number of enemies he unleashes a devastating Frost Nova.
- Beast Huntress
- Throws her spear with great force, piercing through the enemy lines and applying frost effect.
- Has a hound that protects her from close enemies.
- Ice Avalanche: an ice based attack with a diagonal pattern.
- Flame Strike: close quarter defense or boss killer.
- Arcane Rift: magic mines that deal devastating damage.
- Spirit Warrior: summoned warrior that dashes through enemies.
- Potion of Renewal: allows you to reroll abilities
- Hallucinogenic Elixir: allows you to reroll items in a chest
Easily one of my favourite games that hit Early Access this year. An absolute delight to spend many hours with and this update seems absolutely brilliant for it. If you haven't checked it out yet you're really missing out on a good time!
You can buy it on Steam. It has Native Linux support and is Steam Deck Verified.
Check out my previous video on the game for more: