Valve continues tweaking and improving the Steam Deck software both the Steam Client and SteamOS. A new Beta is available with more improvements to Steam Input. This is available for anyone in the Beta or Preview update channels. You can change it in Settings > System > Steam Update Channel.
I've seen quite a few complaints and worries that as Valve gradually replaces the old Steam Input configurator with the new one (which will come to desktop too), that features were missing. Seems Valve are listening, since this adds in Mode Shifts to the newer one on the Steam Deck amongst other things.
Here's what's changed:
- Slider controls now allow more precise input for large ranges, and accelerate changing the value the longer left/right is held.
- Fixed up and down direction on gamepad sometimes skipping rows on the keyboard when connected to an external display
- Fix errors when operating emoji keyboard in Steam and desktop modes
- Add support for Mode Shifts in the new configurator
- Fix a case where two controllers could show the same slot in the Controller Reorder screen
- Fix a case where a controller could not show up in-game until the overlay was toggled
- Fix the Page Up/Down glyphs being swapped in virtual menus
- Fix an issue where Switch controllers could show up w/ a duplicate device