Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
GOL Paradox Grand Strategy Thread
Segata Sanshiro Mar 17, 2015
I noticed there's a lot of Paradox fans here (particularly the grand strategy games) so decided to create a little bit of the forum dedicated to that. Some of the things discussed on here could be:

- Exchanging strategies and campaign ideas
- Giving tips and advice to newer players
- Uploading screenshots and bragging
- Discussing upcoming games, comparing past games
- Help running some of the older non-Linux games on WINE

Obviously, this will mostly revolve around CK2 and EU4, but HoI4 is coming soon and there may be fans of Victoria here too.
Segata Sanshiro Mar 17, 2015
A few of my "greatest hits" from EU4, all on Ironman:

Had another 50 years left, so could have finished off newfoundland and taken most of South America too. This was quite a fun campaign, but gets boring when its just spamming colonists towards the end.

This is one of my earliest campaigns unifying the HRE. This was before lots of the rule changes that came with the expansions, so you could vassalise pretty much anyone. On here I have Portugal and France as vassals (lol) and a Personal Union with Great Britain. Again, had another 50 or so years left but got bored of the game. I had a lot of colonies with this one too. (btw, that little blob in the middle of the grey is Bohemia. They felt suicidal and left the HRE.)

My attempt at getting the master of India achievement with the Ottomans. Had 100 years left but the savegame broke with an update (this screenshot is all I have left). I'll probably do this again at some point and try and get the silk road achievement and the 1000 provinces achievement too, might be harder now though that Ottomans are less OP.

This is my most recent campaign. Didn't go as well as planned after having quite a slow religious modernisation and then mid-game Colombia declared independence and became really powerful, had to give out lots of diplomatic points to gain provinces. Otherwise, was quite a lot of fun. Being at war with the UK, Spain, France and Portugal at the same time is awesome :D.

Two of the most fun have been forming Netherlands as Utrecht and forming Italy as Venice - I stopped those after France was getting really OP though. Did one where I formed Russia and took Japan (to get that achievement) and also the market control achievement in that campaign.

Then there's my current CK2 ironman campaign, I'm at 1053 atm and started at the Charlemagne year (796?). I formed Lithuania as a small tribe, reformed the Romuva faith and then formed a Merchant Republic I called Saturnia. I'd intended it to be a small republic with no intentions of any big conquests. However, the Romuva church started going pretty crazy and declaring holy wars on everyone so it became an empire and now that empire is growing exponentially... So might just see how big I can get it. I'm pretty new to CK2, and only recently started getting into it more.

Just to clarify, the CK2 one IS Ironman, but I'm basically cheating. Whenever a good ruler or heir dies, I kill the game from task manager. I'll probably stop doing that soon, it's just a bad habit I picked up when I was learning the game and got really sick of gavelkind.
Disharmonic Mar 18, 2015
Great, now i feel useless at EU IV :P
StianTheDark Mar 19, 2015
Quoting: DisharmonicGreat, now i feel useless at EU IV :P

Don't worry, we all do.
Apr 7, 2015
I've finally set my sights on the Three Mountains achievement (and in turn also get the World Conquest one).

(I don't have a screenshot yet as I'm at work)

Unfortunately, once I ate lower Muscovy and moved in to Poland, the game seems to really struggle to progress. It clunks along, stuttering every day that passes, even on speed 1. I have somewhere in the region of 1,000 owned provinces (and my Muscovy vassal has about 50).

Anyone else have any experience with this? My Najd -> Arabia campaign (which I got the Jihad, Silk Road, Guarantor of Peace, Over a Thousand!, Arabian Coffee and The Grand Armada achievements) was absolutely fine -- I just headed away from Europe instead of towards it.

Also, both these last two campaigns have been so stressful on the latest patch(es); trying to acquire provinces directly is much more difficult than using vassals, but using vassals is now near impossible without dealing with massive amounts of liberty and / or expand, contract game play.
Apr 7, 2015
To answer my own question; this mod helped a fair amount: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=317529391

Still not fantastic, but definitely playable. I think it may be time to upgrade to a hex core...
Segata Sanshiro Apr 15, 2015
Quoting: edgleyI've finally set my sights on the Three Mountains achievement (and in turn also get the World Conquest one).

Wow really?!?!? Please post screenshots and let us know how it's progressing. Obviously that's like the "holy grail" of achievements which I doubt the rest of us will ever get so seeing you get it might be the closest we'll come :D.

Also my screenshots seem to have gone... Don't know if that's some technical issue or if Liam is trying to free up space on the server.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.