Don't get your hopes up for Batman
Page: 1/3»
  Go to:
mao_dze_dun Jun 23, 2015
Being a filthy dual booter I decided to bring some Linux relevant news from the arcane land of Windows. The Windows Batman: Arkham Knight release just came out and there has been a landslide of negative reviews. It seems the game is a very, very, very bad console port. It's capped at 30fps by default and if unlocked in the settings file begins to stutter like mad. There is inconsistent and low frame rate no matter what the hardware. Even people with 980ti and TitanX cards are reporting bad performance. Also for some reason some of the textures (including the Batmobile) are upscaled from 900p, so basically - blur. The performance problems are across the board for both AMD and Nvidia, even though this is an actual GameWorks title. I decided to share the info, because I know some of you are really looking forward to the Linux port. As things seem as the moment - there is no clarity when the game will actually come to Linux, as obviously their main focus now will be to make it playable on Windows, and also there is no guarantee what Linux performance will be. I'm just saying - be prepared for another Dying Light and don't get your hopes up. This was supposed to be a potential Game of the Year candidate but came out a real train wreck.
neffo Jun 23, 2015
Rolling back the drivers on Nvidia seems to fix it.
wolfyrion Jun 23, 2015
Well there is always an option or a workaround to remove the capped at 30fps ...

Just wait a bit for the patches I guess and tbh I am so excited for this!
They will fix all the glitches on Windows and give to Linux users a great experience :D

Winter is coming!
Mountain Man Jun 23, 2015
The good news for us is that the Linux version is still several months away, so Feral Interactive has plenty of time to optimize and incorporate whatever patches get released in the coming weeks to ensure that it's smooth sailing for friends of Tux.
Mountain Man Jun 23, 2015
Quoting: mao_dze_dunAs things seem as the moment - there is no clarity when the game will actually come to Linux, as obviously their main focus now will be to make it playable on Windows...
Different developers. Rocksteady outsourced the Windows port to Iron Galaxy. Feral Interactive is doing the Linux port. Unless Feral is waiting for source code from Iron Galaxy (and why would they?), this shouldn't cause any delays for the Linux version.
sub Jun 23, 2015
Judging by the minimum system requirement for windows and taking into account the usual multiplier for Linux port requirements (>> 1), this hardware does not yet exist, I'm afraid.
mao_dze_dun Jun 24, 2015
Quoting: Mountain Man
Quoting: mao_dze_dunAs things seem as the moment - there is no clarity when the game will actually come to Linux, as obviously their main focus now will be to make it playable on Windows...
Different developers. Rocksteady outsourced the Windows port to Iron Galaxy. Feral Interactive is doing the Linux port. Unless Feral is waiting for source code from Iron Galaxy (and why would they?), this shouldn't cause any delays for the Linux version.

In an ideal world it would be so, but considering we have no Day-One release for Linux, I'm starting to think they will actually share code.
Mountain Man Jun 24, 2015
Quoting: mao_dze_dun
In an ideal world it would be so, but considering we have no Day-One release for Linux, I'm starting to think they will actually share code.
By all accounts, Iron Galaxy rushed the port and threw it out the door just to meet the release date. Rumor says they only had 8-weeks to do the job. Feral Interactive, on the other hand, seems to be setting their own timetable and will have a lot more time to get the job done right.
sub Jun 24, 2015
Quoting: mao_dze_dun
By all accounts, Iron Galaxy rushed the port and threw it out the door just to meet the release date. Rumor says they only had 8-weeks to do the job. Feral Interactive, on the other hand, seems to be setting their own timetable and will have a lot more time to get the job done right.

But on way more problematic platforms, unless they're using Metal on Mac.
Vulkan might also solve a fair bit on the Linux side once released with *good* driver support.
ricki42 Jun 24, 2015
Quoting: mao_dze_dunIn an ideal world it would be so, but considering we have no Day-One release for Linux, I'm starting to think they will actually share code.

Feral's port is based on the windows port, so I would assume that they share code. I just hope that by the time the Linux version comes out, most problems will have been fixed.
Mountain Man Jun 24, 2015
Quoting: ricki42Feral's port is based on the windows port...
Can you confirm this? I'm pretty sure it's going to be a native Linux port and not just a wrapper. That's how they've done their other Linux ports.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.