Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Poor FPS in Dying Light
Scoopta Jul 29, 2015
I just purchased dying light yesterday and my performance is crap. I get around 20 FPS at 1080p on the Performance preset yet my hardware should have no issues even on the Quality Preset. I have an R9 Fury, FX-9590 and 16GB of ram. Is there anyway to increase my performance?
Samsai Jul 29, 2015
Dying Light has been quite problematic but after the performance patch it got better. I'm not sure if this is another case of the game not being optimized for AMD. Try dropping the settings down to low and if that doesn't do it, try the instructions mentioned here: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/dying-light-is-almost-playable-on-linux-if-you-do-some-tinkering-updated.4899. Back when the game was first released those tweaks made it playable on quite a few systems.
pete910 Jul 29, 2015
What drivers are you using? After the 15.5's the perf went up considerably !

I went from 10 ish fps to 50+ @1440p all high . with a 290x

I've done a comparison somewhere. Might have been on OCUK's AMD driver thread though.
Scoopta Jul 29, 2015
Quoting: SamsaiDying Light has been quite problematic but after the performance patch it got better. I'm not sure if this is another case of the game not being optimized for AMD. Try dropping the settings down to low and if that doesn't do it, try the instructions mentioned here: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/dying-light-is-almost-playable-on-linux-if-you-do-some-tinkering-updated.4899. Back when the game was first released those tweaks made it playable on quite a few systems.

I'm on the performance preset already(The lowest preset) and I get 20 :(.
Scoopta Jul 29, 2015
Quoting: pete910What drivers are you using? After the 15.5's the perf went up considerably !

I went from 10 ish fps to 50+ @1440p all high . with a 290x

I've done a comparison somewhere. Might have been on OCUK's AMD driver thread though.

I'm on the latest 15.7 which if you're on a 290x then maybe it's an AMD thing because I have an R9 Fury which just came out like 2 weeks ago. Maybe they haven't optimized for it yet?
Scoopta Jul 31, 2015
Quoting: SamsaiDying Light has been quite problematic but after the performance patch it got better. I'm not sure if this is another case of the game not being optimized for AMD. Try dropping the settings down to low and if that doesn't do it, try the instructions mentioned here: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/dying-light-is-almost-playable-on-linux-if-you-do-some-tinkering-updated.4899. Back when the game was first released those tweaks made it playable on quite a few systems.

Well that improved my FPS. Instead of 20 I now get a range from 30-60 so it's way better but it's still not what I was hoping for :(
pete910 Aug 1, 2015
Quoting: ScooptaI'm on the latest 15.7 which if you're on a 290x then maybe it's an AMD thing because I have an R9 Fury which just came out like 2 weeks ago. Maybe they haven't optimized for it yet?

Think the fury's ain't optimised yet, they've been scoring lower than the 290x in most games according to some phoronix test.

Having said that he all ways seems to get lower scores than me in most tests he does even though he's running a £800 cpu
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.