Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
The state of the GOL comments section...
EKRboi Aug 22, 2015
I'm going preface this by saying that it's Friday evening(for me) and I've had a beer or 4.. or 5... but something has been bothering me lately and it's the reason I don't "comment" like I use to. When I get home from work and start going through my daily news and websites GOL is and has been for a while one of the first that I hit. I'm a Linux user and a gamer so it's only natural the news here interests me more than others.

I've been a regular reader for a while now and when I first found this place and started visiting a couple of years ago one of the first things that grabbed me was the amazing community here. There was little to no bickering in the comments. The users were mostly awesome. It was generally a great place to have discussions about games on Linux. As time has gone on the site has become more popular which is awesome and telling in it's own right. However, I've noticed that in the last 6 months to a year the comments section has become a bit more toxic with Linux users "fighting" over dumb sh*t and general crap talking. Obviously, there can and will be heated discussion at times.. that's not the problem. The problem is that I've seen the comments section go from a linux/gaming loving community to Phoronix...

My decently buzzed self could easily turn this into a longggg rant but I'm going to stop here.. we all have a common goal.. we all like/love Linux.. lets just all get along! PLEASE! If that just isn't going to happen I will still come here multiple times a day to get my Linux gaming news or miss it when news is slow :'( .. and missed or not I will just have to continue not participating as much as I would like. I've also noticed other people who were regular "commenters" that no longer "comment" as much as they use to which points to me not being alone in those feelings.. it's very disheartening.

/end rant.

*EDIT to be clear.. Liam and staff really does a great job of trying to keep it civil and a great place and seeing him catch the SHIT he does for doing so really bothers me. Freedom of speech/expression doesn't give people the right to be total dbags and it pisses me off to no end to see those dbags try to hide behind it.
Samsai Aug 22, 2015
It's a difficult thing to deal with. I see quite a lot of toxic comments but I cannot really act on them because they aren't actually direct insults, spam or trolling. It's sort of this grey area that is not fun to read but trying to moderate it will result in accusations of censorship.
Liam Dawe Aug 22, 2015
I agree things have been getting more heated, and it's the reason why we have our rules link above all comments.

I also implemented the Report function on all comments for people to report comments, which is hardly ever used I should note.

It's tough to deal with, as every time I deal with it by removing comments or editing out the nasty parts I end up getting one of these:
a) A nasty PM
b) People shit talk me on reddit, twitter and other nuisance websites

It won't stop me dealing with it though, but I need everyone's help in reporting the nuisance comments.
StianTheDark Aug 22, 2015
Even though me and Liam aren't exactly the greatest friends, he definitely doesn't remove my comments for that reason! :-) I think you could fix the comments section by simply telling people to stop posting bad comments and if they continue they will get banned from the comments section.
Liam Dawe Aug 22, 2015
Quoting: StianTheDarkEven though me and Liam aren't exactly the greatest friends, he definitely doesn't remove my comments for that reason! :-) I think you could fix the comments section by simply telling people to stop posting bad comments and if they continue they will get banned from the comments section.

We aren't? I hate everyone, so it's okay ;)
khalismur Aug 24, 2015
Communities change and evolve. Sadly, we all have to accept and deal with those changes, as looking back with nostalgia never helps.
namiko Aug 25, 2015
Personally, I think this is a sign that this site is reaching many more people. Disagreements sometimes aren't pretty, but it's a sign of a changing community, and a supportive one when those disagreements aren't swept under the rug.

Trying too hard to get everyone to get along can sometimes do just the opposite...
EKRboi Aug 25, 2015
Quoting: SamsaiIt's a difficult thing to deal with. I see quite a lot of toxic comments but I cannot really act on them because they aren't actually direct insults, spam or trolling. It's sort of this grey area that is not fun to read but trying to moderate it will result in accusations of censorship.
Quoting: liamdaweI agree things have been getting more heated, and it's the reason why we have our rules link above all comments.

I also implemented the Report function on all comments for people to report comments, which is hardly ever used I should note.

It's tough to deal with, as every time I deal with it by removing comments or editing out the nasty parts I end up getting one of these:
a) A nasty PM
b) People shit talk me on reddit, twitter and other nuisance websites

It won't stop me dealing with it though, but I need everyone's help in reporting the nuisance comments.

Oh I know it's not an easy thing to deal with.. ESPECIALLY when dealing with an opinionated group of nerds ;) The GOL staff does a good job. I know you can't just sensor out anything you don't like and I see the crap you get on reddit when there is something bad enough to really warrant it. It's less about the disagreements.. I like a good debate. It's the personal attacks that strike a nerve with me.

I just went off on a semi drunken rant after reading a comment directed at Liam that was just uncalled for and it hit a nerve. I actually started to write out the rant in reply to the comment but I cut that one short and to the point and came here to dump the rest. :P I think it is awesome the site is growing in popularity because it hopefully shows more people are taking Linux gaming seriously.
Liam Dawe Aug 26, 2015
The key is: People who talk crap about me and GOL are basically jealous morons. Otherwise they would come over here with some constructive feedback, dicks will be dicks.
wolfyrion Aug 26, 2015
Well ehmm... words are just words..... a lot of times I wonder why people are getting hurt by what someone is saying ... they are just words from a stranger... it's almost unbelievable how much words can hurt sometimes...!!!
And I dislike more the people who respond back yelling with insults etc.... just ignore it!!! The best response !!!

Words don't have the power to hurt you, unless the person who said them means a lot to you!!!

Even in real life if someone says something bad for me I will just ignore it...
Well I can't do otherwise anyways since I am not allowed to involved in any kind of fight unless is a self defense or a matter of life..... :D

Well maybe is the way I am trained and I am like this .... :><:

Remember that actions always prove why words mean nothing ....
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.