Has there ever been a better time to be a Linux gamer?
Slackdog Oct 31, 2015
Never thought I'd see the day I'd pay nearly 300 quid for a GFX card to play games! Even if the steambox fails (and I don't think it will) got a shed load of great games and not enough time to play them!

Life is good!

:D

Just had to get that off my chest, lol.
coryrj19951 Oct 31, 2015
I've been using Linux exclusively since about a year or so before Steam was released for Linux. Then GoG supported it. It's been great :D I haven't even considered going back to Windows.

Before all these games were released I was already doing everything faster anyway. :P
Xpander Oct 31, 2015
indeed, i haven't touched wine for few years now
used to be 99% wine gaming back from 2006 till 2012 or something
Liam Dawe Oct 31, 2015
I last used Wine I think last year, to play some SC2, but there's just so much on Linux now + running this site I don't even have time for Wine games :P
lucinos Nov 2, 2015
I had many months to use wine, I used it yesterday, so next month survey the answer will be yes. BUT I only used it to play with LackeyCCG! :D And note that last time I had used wine was again for LackeyCCG. And note that I never used wine for any other game. I have used wine only for legacy programs and LackeyCCG and I really think that LackeyCCG is not exactly what someone would think for wine gaming but still next time I will have to answer yes.
Slackdog Nov 2, 2015
I only use WINE for Trackmania - that soooo needs a proper port!
SuperTux Nov 3, 2015
The only Wine I use nowadays is from a bottle, and its usually red. I replaced my Nvidia 650, which I had bought when Crusader Kings II was first released, with a 960 not so long ago, never thought I would see much more use and value for the '60 series or above! And yes, it is much much better, even for SOTA :).
madmachinations Nov 13, 2015
That depends on wether you have an ATI or nVidia atm unfortunately :P.

(Thanks for f***ing up my gpu ATI, still a bunch of useless assholes I see. Good to know nothings changed there.)

ATI's constant failures, inadequacies, and general f***tw**tery aside, its exciting times for Linux gaming \o/. Ive been waiting for this since Fedora Core 1, and now we rise.

Down with directx!
Up with Vulkan!
Burn ATI!
Hack the planet!
oldrocker99 Nov 14, 2015
I've gotten to the point that I only use wine for Bethesda games , and a few Olde Games from GOG ;) .

Windows can go and fark itself; I'll never, ever use it again. Once X-COM came out, I deep-sixed my buggy, no-mouse-pointer-movement-at-all Windows partition :><: for once and for all.

Is this a great time to be a Linux gamer? You bet yer sweet bippy ! (From the 48 year old Laugh-In TV show, in case you didn't recognize it...)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.