You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
xbox360 vibration
serjor Dec 13, 2015
Hello!

Is there a way to make the xbox 360 controller vibrate? I've been googling and I have only found very old posts or suggestions for using some tweaks. There isn't an easy way to make the controller vibrate?

Thanks!
Stupendous Man Dec 13, 2015
How do you run the controller? Via xboxdrv?
I've got the vibration to work in some games, but not all, by starting xboxdrv with the --force-feedback option and adding 'MODE=0666' to the /etc/udev/rules.d/ xbox controller file (on my system 40-xboxdrv.rules). Still, not all games seem to be able to use the vibration.
serjor Dec 13, 2015
I'm using steam's default xpad, which works quite well with all the games, but no vibration at all, so I'll try xboxdrv, thank you for your advice.
serjor Dec 19, 2015
Finally I removed xboxdrv, because games didn't recognized it, and had to use mouse + keyboard.
It's strange, because I think I used xboxdrv in arch with a ps3 controller, and driver worked (don't remember about rumbling).

I'll keep on searching for a solution, cause without vibration I feel I'm missing something.
Skully Dec 22, 2015
I use xpad myself and rumble seems to work fine in all games that actually have the feature. Which is not many of em.
I didn't do anything special to make it work.
serjor Dec 22, 2015
It's strange, for example in alien isolation my gamepad rumbles on the configuration screen, but not during the game.
For example, shadows of mordor is supposed to have rumbling? Because my gamepad doesn't rumble
Eike Dec 23, 2015
Mine does rumble in Portal 2, but not in Grid Autosport. Using the standard xpad driver.
serjor Dec 23, 2015
Quoting: EikeMine does rumble in Portal 2, but not in Grid Autosport. Using the standard xpad driver.
Thank you for the feedback, I'll check those games. I played portal using keyboard and mouse, and asap I arrive at home I'll buy grid, so I will be able to test them
serjor Dec 24, 2015
It's quite interesting. I'm using xpad driver with Grid Autosport, and before my computer freezes :><: , my gamepad rumbles!!
Didn't try portal, but I'm starting to think that the lack of rumbling is more something related to the game itself, but it's strange that games that allow turning on/off vibration, don't rumble while playing.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.