Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
[SOLVED] Terraria won't run on my Lenovo G50-45!
Cyba.Cowboy Dec 27, 2015
So my son got a new laptop for christmas, a Lenovo G50-45, and whilst it's primarily for school, we plan to let him do a little gaming in his downtime...

Pretty much the only game he wants to play is Terraria (which he has on pretty much everything else - "But the computer version is better!" ), but it won't run. At all.

Once the game was installed via Steam for Linux-based operating systems, he tries to run it (just like any other game), Steam says it's loading... Then nothing.

Any ideas?
StianTheDark Dec 27, 2015
If you run Steam through a terminal, when launching the game you will be able to see a log (potential errors) in the terminal.
Cyba.Cowboy Dec 27, 2015
Quoting: StianTheDarkIf you run Steam through a terminal, when launching the game you will be able to see a log (potential errors) in the terminal.

All I need to type to do that is the actual package name, right?

Any idea what the package name for Steam is? Is it just "steam", or is it something else?
silverphil Dec 27, 2015
just run "steam" in a terminal, then run terraria and see the results... Also have you installed the proper drivers for that laptop? DONT install any drivers, if you bought it with linux preinstalled, though!
wolfyrion Dec 27, 2015
1. Validate the files, some times files are getting corrupted
2. just browse the game folder and run in terminal --> Terraria
Liam Dawe Dec 28, 2015
What GPU is in the laptop? And what Distribution are you on?
Cyba.Cowboy Dec 28, 2015
Quoting: wolfyrion1. Validate the files, some times files are getting corrupted
2. just browse the game folder and run in terminal --> Terraria

It looks like some sort of corruption may have been the issue, because I removed Terraria completely, restarted Steam and the computer, then re-installed Terraria, which appears to have fixed the issue...

Thanks for your help, guys.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.