Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Getting Skyrim fully playable
dlf Jan 7, 2016
I am running Linux Mint 17.3 (Cinnamon as DE), and I have downloaded a plethora of graphical mods for Skyrim, for the most part it will at least boot and indoor areas seem to function correctly (Qasmoke, the abandoned prison), yet if I try to load an out door area (regardless of how) I get at least some amount of the picture zooming in and out - and text changing, smoke moving but then it seems to lock up. How could I get outdoor areas to load - besides not using the graphical mods or booting into my Windows partition?

- Running a steam copy of the game
- Most recent POL & WINE version . . .
- Active mods: http://pastebin.com/L1k1vaN1
Avehicle7887 Jan 8, 2016
That's a ton of mods, have you tried disabling a few of them to root out which mod is causing it? It's gonna be a lot of work but I don't see any other way.
Xpander Jan 8, 2016
32bit version of wine? running out of memory maybe?
dlf Jan 8, 2016
I have more than enough memory to run Skyrim. I'd doubt I have 32 bit WINE installed, what ever is is in the package manager (system software?) is installed.
System Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card
Blurps Jan 8, 2016
have you tested without mods ?
if it's working add mods one by one.
Xpander Jan 8, 2016
Quoting: dlfI have more than enough memory to run Skyrim. I'd doubt I have 32 bit WINE installed, what ever is is in the package manager (system software?) is installed.
System Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card

i actually didnt mean your system ram, just 32bit apps cant use enough and if you fill them with all kinds of mods, that might be the issues.. im just speculating though.

other thing might be video memory.. if you use some graphics mods, maybe wine detects your vmem ammount wrong?.. you can edit that somewhere in POL settings or going into wine registry
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.