Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
IMPORTANT HELP Sought for the FUTURE of Linux gaming
Firepin Jan 20, 2016
Hi fellow linux gamer guys and gals,

(The following is one of the biggest issues thats preventing Linux to have more games. With your help you can help bring it to attention of the Linux Mint Developers)

After encountering many issues with GPU Driver installation (Mint got broken needed clean reinstall) and being forced to resort to console commands in this day and age for such a trivial task as installing the latest GPU driver on Linux Mint 17.3 (the noobfriendliest Linux Distribution) i thought about contacting the Mint Developers.

What Linux needs most for gaming is that uptodate GPU drivers should be easily choosable in the Driver Manager.

But 2 years old proprietary! drivers are the only option.

Further Details are in the GitHub issue i opened and a Forum Thread in Linux Mint Suggestions.

PLEASE CONTRIBUTE and make your voice heard. Contact or bring to attention to the Mint Developers that the most annoying issue is that the "Driver Manager" has only 2 years old GPU drivers from Ubuntu 14.04.

Links to Github issue (perhaps developers read this)
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/5026

Link to Suggestion Forum Thread ( it seems less likely developers read this but i put it there just in case)
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=214628&start=0

Perhaps the Forum Mods or owners of the gamingonlinux site know the developers or how to bring this issue to their attention. I think in this case AMD isnt even at fault because their driver is out in the open but the Mint developers dont add it to their "Driver Manager". Dont know about Nvidia but i think its the same for them as well.
StianTheDark Jan 20, 2016
Ubuntu and Linux Mint aren't the distros you want if you want the latest software and drivers. Try Manjaro. (manjaro.org)
Magamo Jan 21, 2016
Ubuntu has a PPA with updated Nvidia drivers (I'm running 358.16 quite happily through it on two separate machines, and 361.18 is available -- I may update tonight!)

https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
Fenix2412 Jan 21, 2016
I wonder how you got 2 years old drivers... I'm on Linux Mint 17.3 and I've got 352.68 drivers from nvidia installed through driver manager... What GPU are you using? Maybe it's too old (I'm using a GTX 750 Ti).
Avehicle7887 Jan 21, 2016
Some people might not agree with me, but nothing stops you from installing the package from the Nvidia website. I've always installed it this way even when I dipped my toes into Linux about 9 years ago. Can't say I've ever had any issues.
lvlark Feb 2, 2016
Again, not all people will agree, but I think that using command line tools isn't bad or outdated or anything. Using a few simple commands to pull your drivers from a different PPA isn't all that hard. In fact, if you ask me, GUI tools that hide alot of your options should be the outdated way to go about managing your system. If you do insist on using a GUI tool for your driver configuration, it should allow you more options about the drivers you want to use. The Ubuntu one gives me the following: Open Source, fglrx-updates, or fglrx. There's a ton of versions on both the open source and the proprietary side though...
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.