Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Introduce Yourself!
Page: «22/23»
  Go to:
Dark574 Jun 20, 2022
Hi,

just registered on the forum and wanted to say Hello.
Im an oldtime gamer (started with the ZX-81 and then Commodore 64 back in the good old days) and have been playing Games for most of my life. I jumped into Linux 2 years ago and finally got rid of Windows.

Im trying to get my whole game collection running under linux which is working so far way better than expected.
cretsiah Feb 7, 2023
hi everyone,
so 3 years ago windows 10 did an update that was unusable on 3 of our computers.

my daughters and my sons computers were using ASUS motherboards and amd AM4 cpus
mine was an FX series motherboard with AM3+ cpu ( system broke down about sept-oct 2022)untill christmas of 2022

daughter could only game on windows 7 and sometimes linux
son could only game on linux at least until it locked up/ froze

mine was triple boot with Win 7, Win 10 (until it couldnt ) Linux Mint

my new system:
motherboard - Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2
CPU - Ryzen 5 3600
ram - Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz 16gig
graphics - RX 550 4gig DX12 capable
drives - crucial P1 500gig, 4TB USB WD, 4TB USb Seagate
dual boot - win10 (finally a stable build ) Linux Mint Debian Edition 5
ipkpjersi Jun 7, 2023
Hi there!

My name is ipkpjersi. It's nice to meet you all.

I like Linux, programming, anime, and gaming. It's a combo that I share in common with a few of my friends, and it's a combo I enjoy quite a bit.

I've been on Linux full time since 2017 starting with Ubuntu 16.04 and I am now on Ubuntu 22.04, using xfce desktop environment all the while. I currently have a desktop with an AMD Ryzen 9 5900X and ASUS RTX 4070 TUF with 32GB of ECC RAM (yes, I am a nerd) and a 2TB WD Black SN770 SSD with 6x6TB WD Red Pros.
JumpArtifact Jun 14, 2023
Hi all,

My name is Stephen, and I have more than one alias that I use online, but for now I am also JumpArtifact.

I'm a programmer (currently studying for a Masters in Computer Science), and a gamer, and I also dabble in music sometimes. I am most comfortable programming in C++, but I also program in Rust. In some contexts, I use C/C++ when it is easier than Rust (such as in embedded programming where there is better C support than Rust support), but usually I use Rust to avoid C/C++ foot-guns. I also know a handful of other languages for other use cases, but I am a Rust supporter and am not afraid to fall-back to C/C++ if needed.

Since after my freshman year in university (like at least a decade ago), I switched to Linux as my daily driver. I think I started with Fedora or Ubuntu (I don't remember exactly which I used when I fully switched), but I eventually settled on Arch. I have a personal "custom" repo for all the AUR packages I use, so that it is easier to update my Arch machines that use the same AUR packages.

I joined the Gaming on Linux forums because I think it would be nice to have chats about common interests, and I haven't frequented other forums like I used to.
amatai Jun 16, 2023
Hi, I'm Amatai, which is very strange because I don't use this pseudo anywhere else.

I'm a French mechanical engineer and PHD student in civilian engineering (those two are not the same).

I use Linux since 2009 and Linux exclusively since 2015. I have started using Linux because I believe in Free Software value but then keep using it as I like the software better. I'm now very frustrated when using Windows which crash most of the time I use it for more than one hour (well I do computational mechanics, not the most kind of software, there is a reason why no supercomputer use Windows).

I play mostly space games, strategy game and weird eastern European games (mostly Ukrainian as I discovered last year).

I read Gaming on Linux daily since 2013. I'm very grateful to Liam for everything he did for the Linux gaming community. Asking relentlessly for Linux version of games gives us many more Linux games that we would have instead. Well proton gives us that now, but I grew tired of Windows way before that.

I use Arch, btw.
StoneColdSpider Jun 16, 2023
Quoting: amataiI use Arch, btw.
LOL..... Ok..... You get a like for that......
Talon1024 Jul 4, 2023
I'm a long time Linux desktop user, long time GOL lurker, and I occasionally pop in to hatniX and Samsai's weekly livestreams. I've also worked on Wolfenstein: Blade of Agony Chapter 2 and Chapter 3.

Good to be here!
Airapport Jul 5, 2023
Hello!

I'm Alex, game developer from Ukraine. Also I'm known as Airapport and by such games as Steampunk Idle Spinner, Idle Tower Builder or Engineer Millionaire.

My first laptop which I bought in 2011 had OpenSuse 11.4 Recently I ported my incremental/resource management/building games to Linux (used Ubuntu 20.6 for this) and going to share them with the community
Linux_Rocks Aug 25, 2023
I just realized that I didn't do this yet. But anyways, I'm Linux_Rocks, and my irl name is Ken. I'm from Detroit MI in the US, and I've used Linux since around 2000 or so. (Thanks TechTV and The Screensavers.) My first distro was Mandrake 8.1 Standard that I bought at Staples iirc. I then bought Mandrake 8.2 Pro there after that came out for the extra software that you got in that version. I was (unfortunately) still on dial-up at the time, and that was the easiest way for me to get Linux back then. Plus it helped fund the distro too. It used KDE, and I remember ditching Konqueror for Mozilla. (I miss Chatzilla as well.) lol

I currently run Linux Mint as my main OS, and also tri-boot between Windows 11 and GhostBSD (Xfce) too. But on one machine back in the day I quad-booted Mandriva (KDE), Windows 2000, FreeDOS (with OpenGEM), and FreeBSD (GNOME). XD

Last edited by Linux_Rocks on 25 August 2023 at 1:18 pm UTC
nwildner Aug 27, 2023
Sup Folks.

I'm Nícolas, a Brazilian lost in Ireland, Secure Boot and Linux on Laptops enthusiast, passive reader on Gaming On Linux since it's launch and currently got the courage to create an account to interact more :) .

Did some translations in the past (Veloren, Recalbox blogs and EmulationStation Frontend, Rust game, etc...) since coding is not one of my skills although I can handle some "csope" to understand some C code, apply and read patches and developed simple scripts in Python and Perl.

Working with mixed environments(Win + Linux) on IT since 2002, and had the pleasure to work full time Linux job at Red Hat support and interact with such cool folks like GloriousEggroll. Sometimes life comes with an opportunity and I had to leave my former country and Red Hat, letting it go the idea of getting retired working on that job.

Felt into the trap of studying and working with Kubernetes on my new job and it is being quite a ride.

As a guy on its mid-life, the only advice I have is: Some opportunities like this one of changing countries are unique and it is better to try and fail than become a grumpy guy that regrets not giving it a shot.

Last edited by nwildner on 28 August 2023 at 9:12 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.