Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Other then Linux what Operating systems Have you/Do you use?
Page: «3/3
  Go to:
Lachu Jun 26, 2021
I used Windows, Haiku and ReactOS. Currently, only OpenSUSE Tumbleweed.
Alm888 Jun 27, 2021
I've used "Windows 98SE" a bit, then "Windows XP" extensively. And from then on only GNU/Linux and nothing more, as far as my home machines are concerned.

At work I use GNU/Linux with "Windows 7" in kemu at my workplace and… whatever is installed on other machines.

P.S. Did not see DOS at conscious age.
slaapliedje Jun 28, 2021
Quoting: Alm888I've used "Windows 98SE" a bit, then "Windows XP" extensively. And from then on only GNU/Linux and nothing more, as far as my home machines are concerned.

At work I use GNU/Linux with "Windows 7" in kemu at my workplace and… whatever is installed on other machines.

P.S. Did not see DOS at conscious age.
I kind of lucked out and didn't have to deal with DOS until Windows 95, which made it much easier. I have more recently bought an Atari PC3, which is a 286. And then you learn how many things require a 386 or greater... also, dealing with extended memory is garbage. Nothing like adding more memory to the Atari ST or Amiga. Or even the 8bit computers.
thedarkmane Jun 29, 2021
I started on 8-bit systems, mainly AMSDOS/Locomotive BASIC 1.0 and Locomotive BASIC 1.1, and occasional dalliances with CP/M 2.2 and CP/M Plus (v3.1) on the old Amstrad CPC range. With the odd BBC, and Spectrum thrown in for good measure.

Eventually I moved over to PC, and like a few on here, I can say that I have used the following in anger:
  • various flavours/versions of DOS

• Win 3 thru 3.11

• Win 95

• Win 98/98SE

• Win XP

Also having some exposure to Win 2 (don't ask), a PC version of GEM, Win 7 and Win 10, a few versions of OSX/MacOS, and various Unixes.

I probably used RiscOS at some point as well, there was a lab of Archimedes A3000's at high school, before an incoming head of the Computing department blew his entire years' budget in the space of a week replacing all of them and a number of the school's ageing BBC's with PCs.
tfk Jun 29, 2021
I run Fedora Linux on my laptop and my desktop. All the rest is retro stuff. Two C64 running basic, one Amiga 500 with one meg of ram running AmigaOS 1.3, a desktop running windows xp and an IBM Aptiva running Windows 98SE.
Vulphere Nov 19, 2021
Thanks to the wonderful thing that is virtualisation, Vulp has tried several OSes

• MSDOS 6 (with VM)

• Windows 3.1 (with VM)

• Windows 95 (both real boot and VM)

• Windows 98 (including SE) (both real boot and VM)

• Windows ME (with VM)

• Windows 2000 (both real boot and VM)

• Windows XP (both real boot and VM)

• Windows 7 (both real boot on public computers and VM)

• Windows 8 (including 8.1) (real boot)

• Windows 10 (both real boot on public computers and VM)

macOS 10.10 (with VM, hackintosh distro for experimental purpose)

• FreeBSD (with VM)

• PC-BSD (with VM)

• NetBSD (with VM)

• OpenBSD (with VM)

• OpenIndiana (with VM)

• Minix (with VM)

Last edited by Vulphere on 19 November 2021 at 4:02 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.