Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Some games that I found to be working well on SteamOS
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
dubigrasu Jun 20, 2016
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is something I wanted to play regardless if available on SteamOS or not. I know is now made in UE4 and it should (in theory) come to SteamOS sooner or later, but there was a recent sale on GOG and I couldn't helped myself.
The Steam version should work the same.

The Wine installation is a basic one (wine 1.9.12-staging CSMT) with no extra components installed, just installed the game in a fresh 64 bit wineprefix and use a separate script to launch the 64 bit exec of the game. The game itself is the "old" version made in UE3, the UE4 version doesn't work in Wine...yet.
You can use PlayOnLinux or system's Wine (if you have a newer version on your system).
You can also use a 32 bit install but the textures are limited to Low and there's really no point in playing this beautiful textured game with low textures.

It plays really well with the Steam Controller and the Steam Overlay but (as with other games with proper gamepad support) I prefer to use an Xbox360 controller which also gives force feedback adding to the immersion.

The bad part of this video is that it ends up encoded with the Youtube's terrible standards of quality and makes no justice to the beautiful game graphics. I think Youtube uses a single pass encoder which is really a bad option for high detailed/fast moving videos.

The game is frequently streaming a high amount of textures (no wonder) and is causing stutter especially when played from a rotational disk, your best bet is to use a SSD for this and even then is still happening although with somewhat reduced impact.
For the record the PoolSize trick it doesn't help too much and is the same thing on Windows for this UE3 version of the game. Apparently is something fixed only on the Redux version.

View video on youtube.com
dubigrasu Jun 20, 2016
I'm sure they (Youtube) compromise about it yes, as for Vimeo they have some restrictions in place (well, for a free account that is) like only 720p and up to 500MB uploads/week, which is basically nothing these days.
dubigrasu Jun 29, 2016
The Darkness II (shader bug fixed)

I've been itching to play this for a while, but it had an annoying shader bug that simply made it unplayable. https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=30061
By chance a Józef Kucia guy posted a hack that got rid of the respective issue, no idea if is something that's gonna be integrated in Wine or not, but it does work very well for those willing to patch a custom version of Wine.

Patching and compiling Wine was not something I was looking forward to do (last time I did that was maybe 10 years ago) and I also had to do it in a LXC container, so a bit of work for my lazy self.
Still, the patch works and I'm very glad to be able to finally play this. Not sure how good the game is, but it just stood there in my library taunting me, so at least is that, no more taunting.

Anyway, the Wine version is vanilla 1.9.12 (no CSMT), the Wine installation is a fresh 32 bit one with no extra tricks.

dubigrasu Jun 29, 2016
Dirt 3 Complete Edition

Using Wine 1.9.5-staging (or 1.9.11-staging), other newer versions (between 1.9.6-staging and 1.9.13-staging) either are not using CSMT or will cause a crash with steamcompmgr while in desktop mode steamoverlay is unusable.
1.9.5-staging has a slight increase in performance.

New wineprefix with no extra components installed.
Force-feedback works (with x360ce) but is unstable, better use the Steam Controller.

wojtek88 Jun 29, 2016
I covered DIRT 3: Complete Edition on Wine in this post/topic. I was able to use x360ce with Dualshock 4. I've completed the whole game on wine 1.7.43 and the game is golden.

However, I understand that this is a SteamOS related topic, so please go ahead. If you cover Batman: Arkham City it will be great :D
dubigrasu Jun 29, 2016
Quoting: wojtek88I covered DIRT 3: Complete Edition on Wine in this post/topic. I was able to use x360ce with Dualshock 4. I've completed the whole game on wine 1.7.43 and the game is golden.

However, I understand that this is a SteamOS related topic, so please go ahead. If you cover Batman: Arkham City it will be great :D

Well, using x360ce the Xbox gamepad works very well, but at times the force-feedback effect hangs on more that it should (you finish the race and the controller is still rumbling away). I only saw it happen on this game so far.
The good side of using the Steam Controller instead is that you can make use of Gyro. Takes some time to adjust, but is actually fun.

If you're curious about Batman: Arkham City working or not with Wine, it does very well. See the first game on this video:
dubigrasu Jul 4, 2016
Dark Souls (Prepare to die edition) on SteamOS with Wine & Dsfix
Dsfix after min 5.15

Using Wine 1.9.13 with some extra steps taken (some details in the description):

dubigrasu Jul 5, 2016
Warhammer 40,00 Space Marine

damarrin Jul 14, 2016
Install PlayOnLinux. Go to winehq.org to see what people say you should do to make the game run.
dubigrasu Jul 18, 2016
Quoting: Comandante Ñoñardo
Quoting: dubigrasuWarhammer 40,00 Space Marine

What are the instructions for to run games in that way?..
Usually I give some details in the video description.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.