Dirt Rally perform better under Linux than under Windows?
1xok Mar 5, 2017
Hi guys,

yesterday I did a quick test with DiRT Really. After realizing the game creates incredible fps rates on my system (GTX 970, i7 6700K, Xubuntu 16.10 with nvidia binary driver 378.13) I set every thing to ultra and did a in-game benchmark. The result:

Aver: 108,98 fps
Min: 87,46 fps
Max: 159,02 fps

If I compare this with a test like the following I'm really surprised:

https://us.hardware.info/reviews/6277/3/dirt-rally-review-tested-with-32-gpus-testnresults-full-hd-1920x1080

They had got only 85,6 fps for a GTX 970. I think on average. This is below my minimum fps rate!

My question: Is Linux missing again some graphic properties or is the OpenGL port of DiRT Rally actually faster than the original DirectX version? I think I've missed something, do I?
Citiroller Mar 5, 2017
Those are benchmarks done on a pre-release verion of the game, it was released
7 December 2015 (wikipedia and the date on the benchmark website says Tuesday October 20, 2015. By now the windows version has seen multiple updates increasing performance, so Feral had a improved codebase base to build upon over the release version. I think if you compare the latest versions, windows may achieve higher framerates.
1xok Mar 5, 2017
Quoting: CitirollerThose are benchmarks done on a pre-release verion of the game, it was released
7 December 2015 (wikipedia and the date on the benchmark website says Tuesday October 20, 2015. By now the windows version has seen multiple updates increasing performance, so Feral had a improved codebase base to build upon over the release version. I think if you compare the latest versions, windows may achieve higher framerates.

Yes, this could be. Do you have an actual Windows benchmark?
tuubi Mar 5, 2017
Quoting: PixelPi
Quoting: CitirollerThose are benchmarks done on a pre-release verion of the game, it was released

Yes, this could be. Do you have an actual Windows benchmark?
Here's one by GOL user Jahimself. Not entirely scientific, but the difference is as expected for a third-party D3D->OpenGL port.
1xok Mar 5, 2017
<double post>
1xok Mar 5, 2017
Quoting: tuubiHere's one[/url] by GOL user Jahimself. Not entirely scientific, but the difference is as expected for a third-party D3D->OpenGL port.

You mean this:
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/start-your-engines-as-dirt-rally-is-now-on-linux-port-report-review.9223/page=3#r87093

But my fps rates are much higher. On the same level as Windows in Jahimself's benchmark. And my resolution is 1920x1080 not only 1440x900.

So a bit odd. He also uses an old driver and an experimental driver under Linux Mint. I'm using the latest stable one: 378.13. Also I use a strongly stripped window manager (Xubuntu / Xfce) with composite turned off.

Where can I set MSAA to 4, 8 or 16? I only see options with low, middle, high and ultra.
tuubi Mar 5, 2017
Quoting: PixelPiYou mean this:
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/start-your-engines-as-dirt-rally-is-now-on-linux-port-report-review.9223/page=3#r87093
Yes, that's the post I linked to. Seems like a GOL bug related to paging. My link works for me but yours doesn't. I'll report it to Liam.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.