Tutorial: How to use Wine (for beginners)
manero666 Apr 4, 2017
Hi!

I want to share a Blog post and some videos I made on how to use Wine.
They should explain to a new user how Wine works and how to take the first steps and install and run some games/software.

Some videos are a bit old (November), so if you're using a Nvidia card you're probably able to try out many DX10/11 games nowadays (AMD + Mesa still need some implementation).
I still miss few things for the Blog post and I would like to enrich the series with a "how to compile it" guide and a Wine-PlayOnLinux comparison video.

So stay tuned :)

· Blog Post
· Videos

ps. is there a way to embed playlists?
Blurps Apr 4, 2017
:D
sr_ls_boy Apr 18, 2017
I hear a lot of talk about gallium and gaming nine. I assume it is a patched version of wine.
Since I use the closed nVidia drivers I just use vanilla wine.

Any nVidia users that wine-gallium-nine?
crt0mega Apr 19, 2017
Quoting: manero666Some videos are a bit old (November), so if you're using a Nvidia card you're probably able to try out many DX10/11 games nowadays.
Hey! I'm playing around with D3D10/11, too :P But Fallout 4 looks awful with Wine.
JessieWalker Apr 19, 2017
thanks for the blog post; it looks great :)
manero666 Apr 19, 2017
Quoting: sr_ls_boyI hear a lot of talk about gallium and gaming nine. I assume it is a patched version of wine.
Since I use the closed nVidia drivers I just use vanilla wine.

Any nVidia users that wine-gallium-nine?

There is no way to use gallium nine with the proprietary Nvidia driver because Gallium Nine is part of Mesa (gallium framework), but you can use Wine Staging (and activate CSMT in winecfg) to get a nice fps boost in almost every game.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.