You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
New desktop - monitor/resolution
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
donbastiano Sep 30, 2017
Ehm... I'm back to see this old post because I'm finally buying my desktop/monitor and sorry, I lost some answer... Thank you again.

So, I have still to buy the monitor, the case and the GPU. Actually I just sent back a Benq GW2765HT that I tested just a little and only in FHD and now I'm not so sure is a good idea to play FHD full screen on a WQHD (2540) monitor, but I'm afraid the size 27" was right but maybe to big for a FHD, maybe too small for a 4k.

@bintsmok: my very first idea was an ultrawide, but while probably very nice on game, I have some doubts with the other usages, the vertical 1080 it is what I found specially "little" on a FHD. And I'm not so sure I need the extra horizontal space but maybe can be nice as well. I never tried so I'm more afraid to make a mistake.

IPS vs TN, resolution, frequency, freesync... I'm very confused! But at the end is just a monitor, something I'll buy I guess :)

Just a question for the GPU. The radeon RX are now back on the shops and some are on ebay (mainly sapphire nitro), I think I'll try to go with a RX 480 that uses less energy than the 580. What about the memory for example in WQHD, are 8 GB useful (now or in the next few years) or can I go with the 4GB?
donbastiano Dec 9, 2017
Just an update, at the end I bought an RX 570 and a FHD Monitor with Freesync (also on DP), just added to pc info ;) Thank you all
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.