Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Small Form Factor GPU-PassThrough Build
AdamRHargreaves May 12, 2017
Hi All!
My poor aging gaming rig is beginning to die a slow death, so it's time for a new one - and what better upgrade than to a proper Linux box!

However, I have a challenge. The Mrs has recently 'demoted' me to the TV (rather than the desk), so I need a small form factor build. However, I have some games that have to run on Windows (Thrustmaster drivers...), but would still like to do the bulk of my gaming on the Penguin. So that means GPU Passthrough (not a fan of dual booting - did it for years and it always went screwy eventually)

Ideally, I'd like to go for a Mini-ITX sized case - however there is the major problem in that itx only has one GPU slot!

Does anyone know of an ITX board that can take two graphics cards, or - perhaps better - a dual 1070GTx card (if such a thing exists?!)

Failing that, does anyone have any advice for a really compact MicroATX case - that would fit under a coffee table (and would take 2 1070s?)

All ideas welcomed!
GustyGhost May 17, 2017
An ITX board that fits two graphics cards?... barring the obvious IGP paired with dGPU. That's going to be tough, but it's doable. Now hear me out, you will need a chassis that allows a little more flexibility than most small form factor but it could still fit. Many ITX boards are equipped with a mini PCIe slot for wireless cards but with the right adapters and cables, a second card may be installed to it ..albeit at 1x interface speed. Just move the wireless task off to some USB dongle if needed and maneuver the cables over to GPU #2 however possible.

Oh wait, scrap that lol bunch of drivel silly me... there are actually ["mini ITX" boards that do have two PCIe slots and are only the ~1-2 centimeters longer to accommodate it.](https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K65D010/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00K65D010&linkCode=as2&)

But no really other than that, PCIe riser ribbon cables will be your best friend here.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.