Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «143/178»
  Go to:
Ehvis Jan 9, 2020
I ran into this:

I wonder if the graphical glitch with river (just above Geralt's head) is in game on windows or if it is something caused by dxvk.

This shot was taken from the southernmost mountain range of Ard Skellig looking approximately north, but when high up I saw similar glitches in the ocean as well.

Last edited by Ehvis on 9 January 2020 at 5:34 pm UTC
Shmerl Jan 9, 2020
If you can upload a save somewhere, I can check how it looks on my setup.

Last edited by Shmerl on 9 January 2020 at 5:43 pm UTC
Ehvis Jan 9, 2020
Moved on from there. I'd have to go back and make one.
Pangaea Jan 9, 2020
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: PangaeaSkillwise NG+ is problematic, because you only have so many slots for skills, and soon you have them filled, so new levels don't really matter.

From what I've heard, expansions give an option to add more skill slots somehow (some mutation attribute).

UPDATE: see: https://witcher.gamepedia.com/Mutations

With that comment I meant the normal skill slots that you get from more levels, where you only have twelve 'slots', if I remember correct. It's not like in e.g. Witcher 1 where you add more and more abilities as you level up. That probably also means the end game isn't a walk in the park, at least not in NG+, but it's also a little disappointing to have so many skill points with no real use for them. Sure, you can swap out depending on what you face, but I never bother with that. Would bore me to tears.

There is also the runewright thingy, but it looks very underwhelming to me. And I'm not sure if it would take one of the 'normal' slots of more powerful Quen or whatever. Should probably look into that. It's also possible to ADD slots on e.g. swords, though, which is nice if you happen to have a good one.

Is Aerondight really better than Witcher gear, though? I've not found it yet in any case, so must be a very late game thing.

I've found the bonuses from Witcher gear to be rather underwhelming as well tbh, because it hasn't applied yet. I'm yet to get the last version of the gear, and it only applies when I do. Looks kinda poor anyway though, so no big deal really. I'm using the Griffin stuff, which fits quite well with my playstyle (although I don't use signs much any more, so err... yeah).

Has been fun to try out some genuinely new stuff, where I don't know what happens. Unusually empty journal, but maybe that's just how it is now. Few but longs quests instead of many fairly small-sized ones. I'll see what happens as I move forward. Barely scratched the surface so far. Or so I hope.. :)
Pangaea Jan 9, 2020
Quoting: ShmerlBtw, better use the community Wiki: https://witcher.gamepedia.com

There is a whole story behind it (split from Wikia and etc.).

As for Aerondight, I've heard it's in the game (didn't get to it yet), but I was surprised it actually wasn't imported from TW2 save. I had it all the way from TW1, since it was given to Geralt by Lady of the Lake.

The sad thing here is that now Gamepedia has been bought by Wikia (and the horrifically idiotic Fandom name, holy shit), but thankfully still exists as a separate entity. They can't really say much I guess, but given what happened in the past, the reason for the split, I'd be quite amazed if the employees weren't more than a little upset about the whole thing.

Thankfully with uBlock and suchlike extensions it's easy to block out some things, like that god-awful and butt ugly oversized footer the Gamepedia wikis got forced upon them.

Still, though, it's almost impossible to find the Gamepedia wikis by searching. You basically have to know they exist, and enter the URL directly. So strange.
Shmerl Jan 9, 2020
Quoting: PangaeaWith that comment I meant the normal skill slots that you get from more levels, where you only have twelve 'slots', if I remember correct.

The above link explains it a bit:

QuoteStrengthened Synapses is a special mutation, that develops automatically as you finish research on other mutations.

This mutation has several levels. Each time it gains a level, an additional Ability slot is unlocked in the Character Panel. The color of Ability which can be placed in a slot must match the color of the active mutation, so if a blue mutation is active, you can only activate a blue Ability, and so on. Yellow mutations are an exception -- when a yellow mutation is activated, you can use any Ability from the Combat, Alchemy or Signs groups.
Mohandevir Jan 9, 2020
Quoting: PangaeaIs Aerondight really better than Witcher gear, though? I've not found it yet in any case, so must be a very late game thing.

The sword has a hit counter that does more damage as the counter gets higher, up to 10 (critical hit at this point). When you get the blade in Blood and Wine, it's at 585 dmg... By the time I finished the game, it scaled up to 638 and there is still the hit counter that does more damage. Quite a good blade.

Quoting: PangaeaI've found the bonuses from Witcher gear to be rather underwhelming as well tbh, because it hasn't applied yet. I'm yet to get the last version of the gear, and it only applies when I do. Looks kinda poor anyway though, so no big deal really. I'm using the Griffin stuff, which fits quite well with my playstyle (although I don't use signs much any more, so err... yeah).

Personnally I always end my runs (got 3 of them) with the Viper school gears that you may find in Hearts of Stone expansion. It's the nicest looking, imo and it's still really serviceable by the end of the game... Yet, it's a matter of taste, at this point, and since I'm not a "strong attack" user, the heavy gear you may find aplenty in Blood & Wine doesn't really fit my play style.

Last edited by Mohandevir on 9 January 2020 at 7:40 pm UTC
Shmerl Jan 9, 2020
I usually use medium armor (didn't get to Wolven, so using Griffin now), it fits what you'd expect from the regular Witcher style (swords and signs, without losing stamina on heavy armor). Strangely, Wolven armor for lower levels isn't accessible at all (all quests indicate it's in Kaer Morhen).
Mohandevir Jan 9, 2020
Quoting: ShmerlI usually use medium armor (didn't get to Wolven, so using Griffin now), it fits what you'd expect from the regular Witcher style (swords and signs, without losing stamina on heavy armor). Strangely, Wolven armor for lower levels isn't accessible at all (all quests indicate it's in Kaer Morhen).

Yeah... The Grand Masters, the Viper school gears and Wolven Witcher gears were not part of the original game. It might explain the "anomaly". It makes sense to find the starter Wolven gear set in Kaer Morhen but in the game's chronology, it's weird...

This said, I always start with Griffin armor, then Wolven and I finish with Viper. In my first run, I used the Feline School instead of Griffin. Not a bad set either.

Is it obvious that it's my favorite game? :D

Last edited by Mohandevir on 9 January 2020 at 8:19 pm UTC
Shmerl Jan 9, 2020
The bonus of Griffin is a decent boost to all signs, but primarily I like boost to Quen (especially if you add Griffin school ability).

Last edited by Shmerl on 9 January 2020 at 8:20 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.