You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can support us on Paypal and Liberapay!
  Go to:
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Shmerl commented on 5 June 2017 at 12:18 am UTC

TheRiddickhow does it run on a nvidia card with their closed driver?

I don't have one now to test it.

Ehvis commented on 5 June 2017 at 7:55 am UTC

Shmerl@Ehvis: Developers suggested, it could be a Mesa issue. Using newest Mesa on my current frozen Debian is increasingly hard. Do you have a system with recent Mesa to test it?

I don't have any Mesa. I also don't have TW3.

Ehvis commented on 5 June 2017 at 8:14 am UTC

Shmerl@Ehvis: Developers suggested, it could be a Mesa issue. Using newest Mesa on my current frozen Debian is increasingly hard. Do you have a system with recent Mesa to test it?

I did some checking around. This video is from Wine 2.9 (not staging) and on Nvidia and also doesn't have water.

Avehicle7887 commented on 5 June 2017 at 12:30 pm UTC

Back when I tested the game with Wine-Staging (pre-2.9), the fps was horrible on a gtx 960, it was like 23fps. Haven't tested again since then.

damarrin commented on 6 June 2017 at 7:18 am UTC

Encouraged by Shmerl's successes, I tried this myself on a computer I have. This is a pretty weak machine (C2Q Q6600 + Geforce 550Ti on whatever proprietary driver is in Ubuntu 17.04 - 375 something, I think), but it runs things like Alien: Isolation surprisingly well. It's below W3's minimum Windows requirements, mind.

The game basically started without a hitch, after following the (again, Shmerl's) pointers on its WineHQ page. The main menu runs OK, at least. ;-) Only walked around the first room. I get maybe 5 fps, which is still higher than I thought it would be. Hair is missing, There's a black wall through the centre of the room and a horribly annoying huge ellipsis of something in the top right quarter of the screen.

Apart from the graphical bugs it seems fully playable. This is progress like I never expected. Good times. :-)

damarrin commented on 6 June 2017 at 7:19 am UTC

Avehicle7887

Back when I tested the game with Wine-Staging (pre-2.9), the fps was horrible on a gtx 960, it was like 23fps. Haven't tested again since then.

23 fps is almost playable. My 5 fps is the one that's horrible.

TheRiddick commented on 6 June 2017 at 11:13 pm UTC

I was playing around with the Gallium-Nine options recently and noticed I could only get it working on 32bit wine containers. When I made a 64bit container and ran a 64bit game it had lots of flickering textures and such.

Could be related to the DRI3 wine version also I was using? Anyway if I use POL and installed 2.9-staging 64bit container, enable CSMT and all is good. Shrug.

Shmerl commented on 11 June 2017 at 5:22 am UTC

With the latest hack from Józef Kucia, a lot of issues are fixed (missing water, hair distortions, yellow distortions, minimap distortion and etc.).

Samples of how it looks now:

There are some minor missing textures in some cases, but overall it's hugely better. And I get 40fps on my RX480 on max settings (except Nvidia hairworks are off). I think it's close to getting being actually good playable experience.

Shmerl commented on 11 June 2017 at 5:35 am UTC

TheRiddickI was playing around with the Gallium-Nine options recently and noticed I could only get it working on 32bit wine containers. When I made a 64bit container and ran a 64bit game it had lots of flickering textures and such.

Could be related to the DRI3 wine version also I was using? Anyway if I use POL and installed 2.9-staging 64bit container, enable CSMT and all is good. Shrug.

Gallium Nine is pointless for it anyway. TW3 is using DX11, not DX9.

Ehvis commented on 11 June 2017 at 12:45 pm UTC

ShmerlWith the latest hack from Józef Kucia, a lot of issues are fixed (missing water, hair distortions, yellow distortions, minimap distortion and etc.).

Interesting how a single not directly translatable opcode can cause so many issues. It does make me wonder if an actual solution will be hard because hacks generally don't make it into the mainline.

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Official Livestreams
Community Livestreams
  • RPGoodness: "Dragon Age Origins" (via Wine)
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Forum Posts
Facebook