Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «4/178»
  Go to:
TheRiddick Jun 11, 2017
There are some DX9 games that need 64bit environment still. CSMT works decent enough anyway so I will stick with that.

It will be interesting to see how that DX9 over Vulkan project ends up whenever its done (I think its about half way there atm). If it does a good job with DX9 then it might be worth doing it for DX11.
Shmerl Jun 11, 2017
I think Wine developers in general aren't fond of taking such implementation specific approaches. That's why they didn't merge Gallium Nine. They work with standard interfaces. So far their implementation of DX9 and DX11 over OpenGL has quite good performance. Switching it to Vulkan I guess is possible, but it's a huge amount of work. They are moving rather slow as it is. So I expect them to focus on improving performance of existing solution, rather than rewriting the whole thing.

If someone else can do it in some near future, then I suppose they can use it as well.
TheRiddick Jun 11, 2017
Gallium Nine does give me a boost in performance for 32bit games like Dragons Dogma for example. However for 64bit Risen3 it produces major artifacting and is unplayable for whatever reason.

PS. I generally benchmark my games to run at 4k as thats my native resolution, most the time I'm able to achieve 50+ fps with some tweaking.
Avehicle7887 Jun 11, 2017
Quoting: ShmerlWith the latest hack from Józef Kucia, a lot of issues are fixed (missing water, hair distortions, yellow distortions, minimap distortion and etc.).

There are some minor missing textures in some cases, but overall it's hugely better. And I get 40fps on my RX480 on max settings (except Nvidia hairworks are off). I think it's close to getting being actually good playable experience.

Holy cow, to think as of a few months ago we could barely make it to the main menu and now it's almost fully working. Pretty amazing work :-)
Cyril Jun 11, 2017
QuoteHoly cow, to think as of a few months ago we could barely make it to the main menu and now it's almost fully working. Pretty amazing work :-)

Yeah it's awesome ! Great screenshots Shmerl. ;)
I'm now thinking about install the game and test it myself.
malek69 Jun 11, 2017
wine 2.9 + staging + sample_c_lz hack patch by Józef Kucia
work: hbao+, water, shadows, hair, and more.
View video on youtube.com
Shmerl Jun 11, 2017
Quoting: malek69wine 2.9 + staging + sample_c_lz hack patch by Józef Kucia
work: hbao+, water, shadows, hair, and more.

Your framerate seems pretty low. Is the hardware in your video like in your profile info? It's a bit on the lower side for the game (the minimum req is GTX 660, so your card can be just a bit below it). And did you disable threaded dispatch? Also, you can use Wine 2.10, just apply a couple of staging patches which are needed for the game (and sample_c_lz patch).
Shmerl Jun 11, 2017
Anyone with Nvidia blob, can you please check if you get such distortion in White Orchard inn (in the cutscene which takes place just before you arrive there). Note black lines sticking out of that character's face:

I wonder if it's Mesa specific, or general Wine issue.
malek69 Jun 12, 2017
nvidia blob, all min/off

Edit:
btw: i have this bug "The Witcher 3: dark surface distortion'
Ehvis Jun 12, 2017
Quoting: ShmerlAnyone with Nvidia blob, can you please check if you get such distortion in White Orchard inn (in the cutscene which takes place just before you arrive there). Note black lines sticking out of that character's face:

Interesting. The exact same bug plagues the first Witcher game. It's not consistent there though. Is it always the same here?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.