Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «41/178»
  Go to:
Shmerl Nov 12, 2017
Those images fail to load. May be use something like Imgur for external hosting.
andda715 Nov 12, 2017
Thanks, uploaded them to imgur as well.
Will reboot and snap a shot using windows on the same spot and see what fps that is.

Same position but now on Windows. Using same ultra settings as 1080p picture above but with one change, removed vsync (since my monitor is only 60Hz).

"big square in Novigorad" ~110-120fps

EDIT: First one with img-tag and other raw link:

https://imgur.com/a/R28JA

Weird, any ideas what I should check in imgur? I posted the "to the wall" or whatever that is. :-D
Needed to do some email-verification thingy that took a few minutes after I posted.

Thanks,
Anders
Shmerl Nov 12, 2017
Same story - image doesn't load. I guess forum embedding is broken. I usually just always upload to imgur, and then paste here with [img]
andda715 Nov 12, 2017
My bad, used wrong links when adding them as img-tag. Should hopefully work now. :-)

EDIT:
Did a new run at the same spot using ultra 1080p version with d3d_perf enabled, referenced in a bugzilla somewhere.
Spoiler, click me

1493 warn:d3d_perf:resource_check_usage WINED3DUSAGE_DYNAMIC used without WINED3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY.
    877 warn:d3d_perf:wined3d_debug_callback 0x7f1bdaa894a0: "Buffer performance warning: Buffer object 1024 (bound to GL_VERTEX_ATTRIB_ARRAY_BUFFER_BINDING_ARB (0), GL_VERTEX_ATTRIB_ARRAY_BUFFER_BINDING_ARB (1), and GL_VERTEX_ATTRIB_ARRAY_BUFFER_BINDING_ARB (2), usage hint is GL_STREAM_DRAW) is being copied/moved from VIDEO memory to HOST memory.".
    877 warn:d3d_perf:wined3d_debug_callback 0x7f1bdaa894a0: "Buffer performance warning: Buffer object 157 (bound to GL_VERTEX_ATTRIB_ARRAY_BUFFER_BINDING_ARB (0), GL_VERTEX_ATTRIB_ARRAY_BUFFER_BINDING_ARB (1), and GL_VERTEX_ATTRIB_ARRAY_BUFFER_BINDING_ARB (2), usage hint is GL_STREAM_DRAW) is being copied/moved from VIDEO memory to HOST memory.".
    877 warn:d3d_perf:wined3d_debug_callback 0x7f1bdaa894a0: "Buffer performance warning: Buffer object 2288 (bound to GL_VERTEX_ATTRIB_ARRAY_BUFFER_BINDING_ARB (0), GL_VERTEX_ATTRIB_ARRAY_BUFFER_BINDING_ARB (1), and GL_VERTEX_ATTRIB_ARRAY_BUFFER_BINDING_ARB (2), usage hint is GL_STREAM_DRAW) is being copied/moved from VIDEO memory to HOST memory.".
      6 warn:d3d_perf:wined3d_debug_callback 0x7f1bdaa894a0: "Buffer performance warning: Buffer object 2621 (bound to GL_VERTEX_ATTRIB_ARRAY_BUFFER_BINDING_ARB (1), GL_VERTEX_ATTRIB_ARRAY_BUFFER_BINDING_ARB (2), and GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, usage hint is GL_STREAM_DRAW) is being copied/moved from VIDEO memory to HOST memory.".
      6 warn:d3d_perf:wined3d_debug_callback 0x7f1bdaa894a0: "Buffer performance warning: Buffer object 2756 (bound to GL_VERTEX_ATTRIB_ARRAY_BUFFER_BINDING_ARB (0), GL_VERTEX_ATTRIB_ARRAY_BUFFER_BINDING_ARB (1), GL_VERTEX_ATTRIB_ARRAY_BUFFER_BINDING_ARB (2), GL_VERTEX_ATTRIB_ARRAY_BUFFER_BINDING_ARB (3), GL_VERTEX_ATTRIB_ARRAY_BUFFER_BINDING_ARB (4), and GL_AR"....
      1 warn:d3d_perf:wined3d_debug_callback 0x7f1bdaa894a0: "Buffer performance warning: Buffer object 3187 (bound to GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, usage hint is GL_STREAM_DRAW) is being copied/moved from VIDEO memory to DMA CACHED memory.".
    486 warn:d3d_perf:wined3d_debug_callback 0x7f1bdaa894a0: "Buffer performance warning: Buffer object 3187 (bound to GL_VERTEX_ATTRIB_ARRAY_BUFFER_BINDING_ARB (0), GL_VERTEX_ATTRIB_ARRAY_BUFFER_BINDING_ARB (1), and GL_VERTEX_ATTRIB_ARRAY_BUFFER_BINDING_ARB (2), usage hint is GL_STREAM_DRAW) is being copied/moved from VIDEO memory to HOST memory.".
    877 warn:d3d_perf:wined3d_debug_callback 0x7f1bdaa894a0: "Buffer performance warning: Buffer object 957 (bound to GL_VERTEX_ATTRIB_ARRAY_BUFFER_BINDING_ARB (0), GL_VERTEX_ATTRIB_ARRAY_BUFFER_BINDING_ARB (1), and GL_VERTEX_ATTRIB_ARRAY_BUFFER_BINDING_ARB (2), usage hint is GL_STREAM_DRAW) is being copied/moved from VIDEO memory to HOST memory.".

If interesting I can upload the entire log, the above is the "sort | uniq -c" version.
maspeber Nov 13, 2017
@Shmerl - I will post these bugreports. But I want to wait for Kernel 4.15-rc1 because of the DC/DAL-patches for Vega. Hope this time its accepted.

I am playing on wine-staging 2.20 with good results as described in my post. On weekend I was curious with the bugfixes for wine 2.21 and tried vanila 2.21. I had to apply the reg hacks. After starting TW3 I continued my old save in Velen (little time after the hanging man tree where y meet the priest who tells y to burn the corpses). The performance was about 1/3 of staging 2.20, around 15-20 fps. As I ignited the fire over the corpses the fps dropped below 1 fps and stayed there.

The biggest problem that I have atm with 2.20 staging is that TW3 (and my whole system) freezes after a short time of playing my save in Velen. Therefore I cant do a test in Novigrad. Sorry. I have to wait for staging 2.21.
Shmerl Nov 13, 2017
Quoting: maspeberOn weekend I was curious with the bugfixes for wine 2.21 and tried vanila 2.21. I had to apply the reg hacks. After starting TW3 I continued my old save in Velen (little time after the hanging man tree where y meet the priest who tells y to burn the corpses). The performance was about 1/3 of staging 2.20, around 15-20 fps. As I ignited the fire over the corpses the fps dropped below 1 fps and stayed there.

Quoting: maspeberThe biggest problem that I have atm with 2.20 staging is that TW3 (and my whole system) freezes after a short time of playing my save in Velen. Therefore I cant do a test in Novigrad. Sorry. I have to wait for staging 2.21.

These are both expected issues with known workarounds.

For more details, see:

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43273
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42592

Also take a look at the howto, since it looks like you missed it: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=34698#notes

Basically, to avoid low performance, you need this staging patch:
https://github.com/wine-compholio/wine-staging/tree/master/patches/wined3d-buffer_create

To avoid the freeze, you either need to use Wine master which already has a fix, or apply a patch and revert to 2.20. See https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43273#c57

You don't need to use whole staging, I prefer to use regular Wine master, with a minimal set of patches. See above in the howto.
maspeber Nov 14, 2017
Thx Shmerl,

compiled wine master with wined3d-buffer_create wined3d-GenerateMips d3d11-Deferred_Context xaudio2-get_al_format. I dont get freezes anymore and the performance is ok - the fps seems to be a bit lower as with a full staging. Will post pics when I am in Novigrad.

edit: Do y use special CFLAGs (eg CFLAGS="-Ofast -march=native" ) or something like that when y compile wine? I did just a standard compile without CFLAGs. Will it make a significant difference?
Shmerl Nov 14, 2017
Quoting: maspeberedit: Do y use special CFLAGs (eg CFLAGS="-Ofast -march=native" ) or something like that when y compile wine? I did just a standard compile without CFLAGs. Will it make a significant difference?

I don't think it makes a big difference. I use -O3 and -march=znver1 (not -march=native, since I compile inside a VM and KVM/Qemu and virt-manager have hard time detecting Ryzen properly). If you are compiling straight on the same OS, then -march=native should be enough.
maspeber Nov 14, 2017
thx shmerl. atm I compile wine with -O3 -march=native - same sources as yesterday with only -O2. Will be interesting to see if there is a difference. Some benches with Clear linux have big big performance plus ... hm I feel tempted to use Gentoo or do Linux from scratch :P

I installed m-bab 4.14.0-kernel with new firmware package. I will first test the new compiled wine and after I will test 4.14.0. From 4.14.0 I will post later pics with the performance
maspeber Nov 14, 2017
Some more pics: m-bab-kernel 4.14.0 with AMD-DC/DAL-patches, wine-master 2.21 with the 4 staging patches (compiled with -O3 -march=native) and from inxi-F:

CPU: Octa core AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
clock speeds: max: 3800 MHz 1: 3800 MHz 2: 3800 MHz 3: 3800 MHz 4: 3800 MHz 5: 3800 MHz 6: 3800 MHz
7: 3800 MHz 8: 3800 MHz 9: 3800 MHz 10: 3800 MHz 11: 3800 MHz 12: 3800 MHz 13: 3800 MHz 14: 3800 MHz
15: 3800 MHz 16: 3800 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Vega [Radeon RX Vega]
Display Server: X.Org 1.19.5 drivers: ati,amdgpu (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa,radeon)
Resolution: [email protected]
OpenGL: renderer: AMD VEGA10 (DRM 3.23.0 / 4.14.0+, LLVM 5.0.0)
version: 4.5 Mesa 17.3.0-rc3 - padoka PPA

Game started with taskset -c 8-15 wine (to avoid inter-ccx-communication). Everything maxed out except hairworks off. Resolution 1600x900 for screenshots with watch amdgpu_pm_info

Novigrad:

looks like it snowed, the ground looks so metallic

I had a hard time to make the GPU to speed the clock up. Almost it stayed at 99x Mhz. I tested with Crysis 2 and Wine-Gallium-Nine 2.19. The same. Its very hard to speed the Vega up. I tested with Tomb Raider 2013 and had to max out everything to ramp the clock up to 15xx. On Win10 the Vega clocks up very very quickly and is around 14xx or 15xx MHz.

The GPU-Load-graph looks strange - around 70% and not higher. No obvious bottleneck, CPU isnt 100% at no core.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.