You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay.!
  Go to:
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Shmerl commented on 29 December 2017 at 4:14 am UTC

Does anyone know how to reset an AMD GPU through a kernel variable? I want to test if that can unfreeze the system if TW3 freezes it.

beko commented on 3 January 2018 at 9:42 am UTC

'rmmod' and 'modprobe' should do just that.

I've no idea whether you can force this though while it is in use by X.

Shmerl commented on 3 January 2018 at 1:29 pm UTC

The whole point is to be able to do it without losing DE session.

Shmerl commented on 7 January 2018 at 2:24 pm UTC

I was experimenting with Ryzen CPU governors to see how it affects TW3 in Wine. Looks like performance one improves it a bit, but not much:

On demand:

Performance:

The change could be just an error margin of changing the camera view slightly, so it's not very conclusive.

stan commented on 7 January 2018 at 8:02 pm UTC

+15% is quite significant. I don’t remember a governor change having such a big effect on anything before.

Edit: ok that’s not true, the default ondemand settings used to slow down Flash games a lot…

Shmerl commented on 7 January 2018 at 9:05 pm UTC

That 15% could be because of camera view between two tests. I tried positioning them close, but they could still be a bit different. But I do expect performance governor to improve it somewhat, since the game is CPU bound.

libgradev commented on 8 January 2018 at 4:08 pm UTC

ShmerlI was experimenting with Ryzen CPU governors to see how it affects TW3 in Wine. Looks like performance one improves it a bit, but not much...

I saw a similar effect here - it does improve performance a bit (~5fps).

Those of you on > 4 core systems try locking W3 down to 4 CPU's e.g.:
taskset -c 0-3 <wine cmd>

That gave me a marked increase in performance (~10fps)!

Shmerl commented on 8 January 2018 at 4:12 pm UTC

libgradevThose of you on > 4 core systems try locking W3 down to 4 CPU's e.g.:
taskset -c 0-3 <wine cmd>

That gave me a marked increase in performance (~10fps)!

This is less of an issue if you have fast RAM.

libgradev commented on 8 January 2018 at 4:19 pm UTC

ShmerlThis is less of an issue if you have fast RAM.

Well I'm running DDR4-3600...

Shmerl commented on 9 January 2018 at 3:15 am UTC

libgradev
ShmerlThis is less of an issue if you have fast RAM.

Well I'm running DDR4-3600...

I just tried this method, limiting TW3 to first 8 virtual cores (Ryzen 7 1700X has 4 physical, 8 virtual on each of two "core complexes" ). I don't see a major improvement really. Same good 40 fps on average. Limiting it to just 4 virtual cores on the first CCX as you described, degrades performance to around 25 fps. Anyway, there is no point in limiting it more than amount of virtual cores on one CCX.

performance governor does help to avoid periodic framerate drops though. I think in my case the game actually hits RX 480 GPU limit and isn't so CPU bound, so may be with Vega it would go higher.

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Decisions: „Life Is Strange: Before The Storm“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts