Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «122/178»
  Go to:
Shmerl May 16, 2019
Friendly meditation is great, I'm using it as well. I haven't used friendly HUD though. The other mods I use are are More Quickslots and No Talk Icon. The later helps with immersion.

If some mods cause conflicts, it means they alter the same file. You need to merge their scripts using some merge tools.
Shmerl May 16, 2019
Some ideas related to mods scripts merging are explained here:
https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/484
Linuxwarper May 16, 2019
I did see get that part but seemed like the merge tools were strictly Windows. But glad to hear you're not having issues, means I did a step wrong.

I like immersion too, so I'll be sure to grab that the No Talk mod. Friendly HUD is imo a must for such experience. I would set it up so I would have a number showing quests and markers when using Witcher senses like this video at 4minute mark.

You can also disable radial blur during Witcher senses. I am torn when it comes to Witcher senses. On one hand you need to use it to highlight barrels and such containing loot. On another it's such a shame to go into Witcher sense as opposed to normal mode, as it kinda impedes your view of teh game.
Here you come across a nice place, but now you must frequently use your Witcher senses to find the stuff.

It would have been perfect if there was a mod that did what Witcher senses did for objects containing loot, but that the highlightning would stay permanent until you left that area or/and made the highlight less pronounced.
Softening the yellow highlight would be similar to what they did with Witcher 1 and 2/3 when it comes to Quen. Quen in W1 was to much effect.

Another thing that I find really annoying is candles and light sources. Often getting in way of interacting with npcs or objects.
Shmerl May 16, 2019
I've done some merging of scripts manually in my setup (I think for that no talk icon mod), you can use some tools like meld, kompare or vimdiff for that - whatever works. You don't need to use those Windows tools.

I've seen friendly HUD, but decided not to use it. I'm OK with vanilla interface in this regard (though I disable quest name in the HUD, since it's just taking space for nothing - I know what my current quest is anyway).

I don't find using witcher senses annoying. But what I miss is the medallion interaction. In TW1 the medallion could alert you about monsters proximity. May be I missed it, but I don't see any analog of that in TW3. TW2 had something in between.

https://witcher.gamepedia.com/Witcher_medallion
Arehandoro May 16, 2019
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: ArehandoroI have not started the game for a while and now, to my surprise, the game thinks it's a fresh installation. No saves at all nor the button to Continue appears. Has someone experienced something similar?

The game is storing its saves in:

<prefix>/drive_c/users/$USER/My Documents/The Witcher 3/gamesaves

if your documents association is disconnected from the desktop one (I always disconnect them all, to keep prefixes self contained). Otherwise it would store it in wherever your documents association points to (like $HOME/Documents and etc.). That can get reset in some cases due to this bug: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=22974

However if that location already has some data, it shouldn't reset it.

So what I recommend doing is, find your old saves first and back them up to be sure. Then start a new game and make a new save. Check where it goes, and then replace it with old saves.

Thanks mate! I will do this over the weekend so I can continue the game :)
Pangaea May 18, 2019
I don't think Roach likes me :-(

Though it was quite impressive to gallop on two legs for a good while.
Pangaea May 18, 2019
Haven't played the game for over two months, but fired it up again yesterday (still on my first playthrough - it's so HUUUUUUUGE). Have to admit it's pretty weird to be able to go toe-to-toe with just about any monster under the sun, but two smacks in a boxing fight and Geralt is out cold. Have given up on some of them for now, as I can't be bothered to keep reloading or retrying for something so minor.

The reason I post is that after a couple hours of playing, the crackling sound issue happened again. There was a cutscene and conversation after some dungeon delving, and the sound suddenly started crackling. I've no idea what causes this, but it would be great if it was possible to solve it somehow.

Previously I edited a config file or suchlike after reading a tip about it, and that helped, but didn't remove the issue. I don't recall exactly what that change was, nor where, as it's been so long ago now.

Since last time I played I've started using the 5.0 kernel -- but as this sound issue was present both before and after the upgrade, I guess it doesn't impact anything in that regard.

If you have any advice, I'm all ears (as little as that makes sense when reading :P )

Edit: I found what I did earlier.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1033405/crackling-and-delayed-sound-after-upgrading-to-18-04
Shmerl May 19, 2019
It's probably due to some hardware specific quirk and ALSA support for your motherboard's audio chip. I.e. might not be easy to fix, except for getting something else to drive audio. If not a new motherboard, then may be a different audio card.
Shmerl May 19, 2019
Just got full Griffin witcher school armor and swords set (after visiting Oxenfurt for the first time):

Medium armor seems most Witcher-lore fitting. Though light armor gives more stamina regeneration bonus, but at the cost of much lower protection.
Pangaea May 19, 2019
Quoting: ShmerlIt's probably due to some hardware specific quirk and ALSA support for your motherboard's audio chip. I.e. might not be easy to fix, except for getting something else to drive audio. If not a new motherboard, then may be a different audio card.
Sounds hard to solve then, short of buying new hardware. Thankfully it doesn't happen very often, but when it does I have to restart the game. Recently the game has crashed a few times too when going to a new area from the fast travel system. No idea why, but I suppose I can try to roll back from 5.0 kernel to 4.18?

Agree with you that Griffin gear makes most sense in terms of lore. Or possibly the light armour variant tbh, as witchers are all about quick reactions. With how the bonuses work though, I think griffin makes most sense. Feels more balanced too. I'm currently sporting some alder boots, but apart from that have gone with Griffin. Never found the way to the blasted Temple Isle stuff, though, so maybe I'll always lack something, haha. (edit: this was Cat not Griffin I see)

Some great scenery shots :)

While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.