Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «123/178»
  Go to:
Shmerl May 19, 2019
By the way, supposedly Wolven armor should be also medium (and more fitting Geralt's school), but it's not available until later parts of the game. And I guess they didn't implement the Viper set?

As for playthrough, I was so far exploring Velen and didn't even get to Novigrad yet :)

Spoiler, click me
Crones quest is quite a tough one, since there is no good choice between helping the Ghost of The Tree or helping Crones to get rid of it. Both are pretty bad. She Who Knows promises to help children from the orphanage, but she also is quite bloodthirsty in general and not much better than her daughters, at least according to She Who Knows book.

And one thing to note about importing the save from TW2.

Spoiler, click me
In my TW2 playthroughs I usually let Letho go, but somehow that didn't work with import - Letho isn't in the game. Apparently, I imported a save before the choice :( And by default the game assumes Letho is dead. So annoying, since you can't fix that even using console commands.
Shmerl May 20, 2019
Another sunset in Velen. This game is just beautiful:

Pangaea May 20, 2019
That's a great shot!

I've been going about in the game and trying to wrap up stuff here and there, but it's just too much. There are so many side quests and question marks everywhere, that it became a little boring going hither and tither trying to 'close them', as I usually do in RPGs. So I moved on with the story instead. And holy mother of all that is awesome. Obviously won't spoil anything, but it was quite something else. Presumably much the same impression that most others had on their first time through the game. Sat back in the chair and felt like I was watching a movie, getting emotional.

In a vast amount of games, all these cutscenes just feel tacked on and cheesy. Not here. A friend of mine is playing through it as well, and I can't wait to he gets there too (in two months, haha!) so we can share our impressions about it. Ofc I wouldn't want to ruin it for him either.

You have something to look forward to shmerl ;-)
Pangaea May 20, 2019
Then to something completely different.... Geralt trying to hide! :D

Shmerl May 20, 2019
78 honeycombs :) I'm usually using water for quick food / healing effect. I got tons of raw meat from hunting, but apparently there is no way to cook it, to improve its effect.

I like how CDPR work on different environments. Farcorners feels quite distinct.
Shmerl May 21, 2019
Just got to Novigrad, where many say performance dips due to complex city layout. I tested it - the game runs at 75 - 80 fps for me when I turn vsync off (Sapphire Pulse Vega 56) which is even better than in the wilderness. dxvk and radv are great!

Pangaea May 21, 2019
Quoting: Shmerl78 honeycombs :) I'm usually using water for quick food / healing effect. I got tons of raw meat from hunting, but apparently there is no way to cook it, to improve its effect.

I like how CDPR work on different environments. Farcorners feels quite distinct.
I normally use Water too, but I went through it all! Also went from 78 honeycombs to 40-ish in a whiff. I should probably cheese out by using potions and sleep to heal, but I prefer to rely on food and not meditate all the time instead. As in BG, I only meditate when absolutely needed. At some points in the early game I had to buy water everywhere I found it, and at some points I was still down to various alcohol, which did have some negative effects during combat ;)

Haven't checked FPS on my end, but it feels really smooth, although the Geforce 770 is a few years old now.

As in all the other games, I wish they had the Cat "potion" as a toggle instead of needing a time-based potion for it. It's something witchers can do naturally. And if you chug down a Cat potion and happen to walk outside, you can't see crap. That particular mod is something I always used in the original Witcher. Simply made more sense, also lore-wise.
Shmerl May 21, 2019
Quoting: PangaeaAnd if you chug down a Cat potion and happen to walk outside, you can't see crap. That particular mod is something I always used in the original Witcher. Simply made more sense, also lore-wise.

Yeah, you'd need to drink White Honey to remove the effect.
Shmerl May 21, 2019
Sun and Stars ability is quite useful for faster healing. I'm usually using it, unless I need to stack combat only abilities for specific reason.

Also, if you often rely on food instead of potions, you can try Gourmet.
Pangaea May 22, 2019
I decided to *not* pick Sun and Stars, because I read people saying it made everything so much easier, kind of removing one of the main challenges about picking a higher difficulty. So I knew about that, just didn't want to choose it :) It was actually fun to need to manage the health, instead of insta-healing at sleep or when combat is over.

Finished the main story yesterday actually, and HOLY SHIT!!! I shan't say anything this or that way, only that I was impressed. Like before, I kinda sat back in the chair and enjoyed some of the stuff happening. I've no idea who much of the story will change based on whatever you do throughout the game, though.

Am now thinking about whether to try a New Game+, or to go right into the expansions. Effectively playing through the whole game again may be a bit much, but I'm probably leaning that way anyway. Partly because I read that if you first do the expansions and then go for NG+, everything will be pretty easy again, because you are overleveled.

May need to fickle about with settings, however, as the game has been crashing from time to time suddenly, which it didn't do before. Typically when loading a new area after using fast travel, or when the game goes into a major cutscene. Not such a big deal that the sound started crackling every 10-20 hours or something, but the game crashing is a good deal worse, because then I need to start saving a whole lot more than I have done for fear I will lose important progress.

As usual I spent quite some hours just wandering about talking to people, climbing up wherever I could get some nice picturesque views, and doing various side quests and hunting "question marks". Still hundreds of them left, and I'm kinda surprised the hour count isn't even higher, but yeah.... <3

I mostly went for sign skills, though I did prefer to often use the sword against foes, instead of just blasting them with fireballs or whatever. Quen is an absolute life saver, though.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.