If you support us through Liberapay, please see this important post.
You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal!
  Go to:
The Witcher 3 in Wine
mrdeathjr commented on 9 January 2018 at 8:26 pm UTC

ShmerlIt's not bad if games are properly parallelized.

Games that load just one core are really badly designed.

You shouldn't need 5 GHz monster to have good performance.

Yes if games using correctly multi core dont be appear this problem

But as youre said and is truth, most games dont use correct many cores, only few cores with higher frecuency

Almost forget wine dont use correctly multi core

Resuming: games dont use multi core properly and wine dont use multi core correctly

Ehvis commented on 9 January 2018 at 9:58 pm UTC

It's also easier said than done. It's not just about supporting multiple cores, but being able to split up the load from the highest loaded core. This is not an easy or obvious thing because some tasks simply can't be split. This is also true for OpenGL (and DX) stuff where there is an amount of work that must be done on a single thread. If that thread starts dominating the speed, that's it and only higher single core speed can help you. This is where the new API will help in the future, but it won't help in current games.

There may be another thing why parallelisation is limited to a smaller number of threads. It's fine to split completely separate tasks into separate processes, but when you have to split a single task or related tasks, you will take a performance hit. Devs may not be willing to do that.

mrdeathjr commented on 9 January 2018 at 10:45 pm UTC

EhvisIt's also easier said than done.

It's not just about supporting multiple cores, but being able to split up the load from the highest loaded core.

This is not an easy or obvious thing because some tasks simply can't be split.

This is also true for OpenGL (and DX) stuff where there is an amount of work that must be done on a single thread.

If that thread starts dominating the speed, that's it and only higher single core speed can help you.

This is where the new API will help in the future, but it won't help in current games.

There may be another thing why parallelisation is limited to a smaller number of threads.

It's fine to split completely separate tasks into separate processes, but when you have to split a single task or related tasks, you will take a performance hit.

Devs may not be willing to do that.

Very good points and as your said is very difficult solve this situation*

*For this reason higher frecuencies are required for now

In my tests is common find wine use first core (core 0) at maximum and other with low charge**

**some exceptions case lotr war in north - medal of honor airbone when wine use both cores (core 0-1 at maximum) without csmt (with csmt appears low performance)

Personally recommends if stay using other tasks case information apps send to cores unused and leaves cores 0-1 only for wine

Example: taskset -c 1 gkrellm

However some games in wine use only core 1 at maximum case: truck racer, farcry 3 and others

Shmerl commented on 12 January 2018 at 5:42 pm UTC

No progress on the distorted monsters fix freeze so far.

Shmerl commented on 18 January 2018 at 2:58 am UTC

It's a pity, since it seems to be the only game breaking bug for me. May be a few AMD users can sponsor recent GPU for Józef Kucia?

libgradev commented on 18 January 2018 at 9:54 am UTC

I haven't played a lot recently but I'm yet to see this freeze on my Vega64 system...

Faattori commented on 18 January 2018 at 11:22 am UTC

The freeze only happens with an experimental patch. The patch is not in any release versions.

Shmerl commented on 18 January 2018 at 1:52 pm UTC

libgradevI haven't played a lot recently but I'm yet to see this freeze on my Vega64 system...

Yes, indeed. Did you read the bug comments? Freeze happens only with the patch that fixes invisible / distorted monsters bug. And because of it, it can't be upstreamed yet.

beko commented on 23 January 2018 at 5:28 pm UTC

ShmerlIt's a pity, since it seems to be the only game breaking bug for me. May be a few AMD users can sponsor recent GPU for Józef Kucia?
Ah.. did I miss this? Does he have a Patreon account or something?

I'd donate. Even as NVIDIA user.

Shmerl commented on 23 January 2018 at 5:41 pm UTC

bekoAh.. did I miss this? Does he have a Patreon account or something?

I'd donate. Even as NVIDIA user.

Apparently Józef doesn't have a recent AMD GPU to test Wine on, and on his older one the freeze doesn't happen: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43872#c24

I can try contacting him about setting up some Patreon account or the like. I'll be glad to contribute.

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Story Time: „Herald: An Interactive Period Drama“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts