The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «64/178»
  Go to:
kaiman Feb 4, 2018
Finished Blood and Wine a couple days ago. I've got one or two minor quests open, and treasure hunts for gear I'm not interested in, but otherwise I did pretty much complete most of the content over the course of the last 8 months. Was really great to see Wine improving step by step over time; towards the end, apart from a low frame-rate (which I am sort of used to anyway) I think the experience was equal to that I'd have had on Windows.

Regarding the game itself, glad I did not let my first impression of it being a pure action-RPG sway me from giving it a try. While the game loop was a bit repetitive at times, the imaginative quests made more than up for it. Also loved the card game (looking forward to Thronebreaker already!). Overall, I liked the Hearts of Stone expansion best, and that also had the best quest I ever encountered in any RPG so far (Dead Man's Party).

Now I hope I'll eventually be able to run Divinity: OS2 (should probably start a new thread for that) and the upcoming Kingdom Come: Deliverance in Wine.
Shmerl Feb 4, 2018
I'm still in Velen, early quests. I finished ones with Keira in the elven caves (Wandering in the Dark and Magic Lamp - it reminded me The Secrets of Loc Muinne from TW2 and it's very well done. But those hellhounds were invisible, and they shouldn't be. So I decided to wait until this issue is fixed, and since current patch is causing a freeze, I'm basically stuck for now until it will be resolved.
kaiman Feb 4, 2018
Quoting: ShmerlI finished ones with Keira in the elven caves (Wandering in the Dark and Magic Lamp - it reminded me The Secrets of Loc Muinne from TW2 and it's very well done.

Yes. The quest(s) with Keira are also excellent. In fact, the early part of the main game is quite strong in how a lot of the things are connected to each other.

Quoting: ShmerlBut those hellhounds were invisible, and they shouldn't be.

I'm under the impression they weren't invisible when I played the quest back then, but I've since encountered invisible ones in other quests. I reloaded a save from that quest and they are definitely invisible now. Quite likely I remember it wrong, and the visible ones were of a slightly different variant. (The save was from June 18th last year, btw., in case you want to double-check with the then current version of wine, but it's probably not worth the trouble).
Shmerl Feb 4, 2018
The invisible monsters bug is related to distorted monsters one, and it's been around from the start in various forms.

Quoting: kaimanYes. The quest(s) with Keira are also excellent.

I've spent some time deciphering Glagolitic texts and inscriptions in the game (at least ones I've already encountered and a few others posted around). It's fun. Also, texts inside elven caves apparently aren't using Glagolitic, but Old Permic. Though they don't look like anything sensible and just list the alphabet sequentially.

See some results here.

Roadsigns are often jokes. Like "keep off the grass" or "stop littering" and "mind the gap" :)
drlamb Feb 5, 2018
I've been a long time lurker of this thread and last weekend I finally decided to give this game a shot in wine.

I'm using lutris to manage my wine versions and used the steam-version installer from there. Upon initial load up I was met with the menu distortion and since my last save was out on the water I got to experience the water effect rending issues/skybox distortion but the framerate was completely playable.

Upon switching to the latest wine-staging 2.21 (I believe)...all of those issues were fixed. I no longer see any errors in menu rendering, audio is in sync, and the skybox and water splashes look normal. Encouraged by this result I started actually playing the game again (my goal was to finish it through wine all along...unless that native port ever happened... ) and it's fully playable. No it's not perfect as sirens are invisible (I've seen your notes on this subject) and cave entrances are rendered incorrectly, but the game is able to be played quite well.

While I don't have any hard numbers on me at the moment, I was blown away by the framerate. The game feels fluid and responsive to the point I was able to engage and defeat even the invisible sirens with ease. That being said, the game does stutter from time to time, but I'm going to do some digging and see if I can track down the root cause of that. I now intend to complete my play-through of this game, fully intent on reporting any issues I encounter with the wine dev-team.

My System:
Fedora 27 - with Rawhide nodebug Kernel (4.15)
Mesa-git (so currently 17.4)
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X @4.0Ghz
32GB 3200Mhz Ram
AMD Vega Frontier Edition Air
3440x1440P - All in game settings MAXED out, except for NoVideo Nvidia-specific ones.
Shmerl Feb 5, 2018
Quoting: drlambUpon switching to the latest wine-staging 2.21 (I believe)...all of those issues were fixed. I no longer see any errors in menu rendering, audio is in sync, and the skybox and water splashes look normal. Encouraged by this result I started actually playing the game again (my goal was to finish it through wine all along...unless that native port ever happened... ) and it's fully playable. No it's not perfect as sirens are invisible (I've seen your notes on this subject) and cave entrances are rendered incorrectly, but the game is able to be played quite well.

You should not be using Wine staging 2.21. It's behind and doesn't include fixes for many of the issues you mentioned above. Use latest Wine master with "don't pin large buffers" patch.

See howto here: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=34698#notes

See also the list of known bugs on that page.

You need to also enable CSMT. For invisible monsters, the currently proposed patch causes a freeze with Mesa which could be a bug in amdgpu. See these bugs for details:

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43872
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=104193

Stutter can be related to I/O. SSD would reduce some of it.
drlamb Feb 5, 2018
Quoting: ShmerlYou should not be using Wine staging 2.21. It's behind and doesn't include fixes for many of the issues you mentioned above. Use latest Wine master with "don't pin large buffers" patch.

Thanks for that. I'll try patching wine master tonight.

Quoting: ShmerlStutter can be related to I/O. SSD would reduce some of it.

Samsung 960 Pro NVMe drive here so I assure you it's not I/O. :P
Faattori Feb 5, 2018
I think it's more likely that the stutter is due to shader generation.

Does the stutter happen when you use a sign for the first time and when you use it again it doesn't (necessarily)?
Shmerl Feb 5, 2018
Quoting: FaattoriI think it's more likely that the stutter is due to shader generation.

That's possible.

Quoting: drlambSamsung 960 Pro NVMe drive here so I assure you it's not I/O. :P

What version of Mesa are you using? Make sure it's recent so it would include shader caching. That would mitigate some of the shader related stutter. Also, note that stutter is gone once some of those shaders are compiled in memory. I.e. it stutters at something new, and second time it already doesn't.
drlamb Feb 5, 2018
Quoting: ShmerlAlso, note that stutter is gone once some of those shaders are compiled in memory. I.e. it stutters at something new, and second time it already doesn't.

This describes the stutter. It eventually goes away. Mesa 17.4 from https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/che/mesa/
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.