The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «125/178»
  Go to:
Shmerl May 26, 2019
The crash could be dxvk related, so check dxvk bug tracker about it. Also, make sure you are using latest Wine and latest dxvk (besides latest Vulkan driver).

Regarding various graffiti, I was trying to decode this message (found above the entrance to King of Beggars' house).

But so far no luck.

I also posted it in this thread:
https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/witcher-3-signposts-meaning.9722241/page-4#post-11538415
Pangaea May 26, 2019
Quoting: ShmerlThe crash could be dxvk related, so check dxvk bug tracker about it. Also, make sure you are using latest Wine and latest dxvk (besides latest Vulkan driver).
Cool, looks like a lot of work has gone into deciphering some of the graffiti and writings throughout the game. A little sidenote, but as a Norwegian I find it pretty cool to see so many Norwegian/Scandinavian locations and names, and of course a big chunk of the lore as well. Same as with Sapkowski's writing really.

About the crashes: I actually tried out the latest DXVK (1.2.1), but was later advised against it here: https://www.gog.com/forum/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt/the_witcher_3_for_linux/page2
Therefore I went back to 1.0.3 as the graphics drivers wouldn't take advantage of it anyway, and it felt like things were a little more sluggish. Will take a look at DXVK bugs and see if I can notice anything there. It's certainly a bit annoying that the game suddenly crashes to desktop out of the blue. Yesterday I was looking at notes on a notice board, and suddenly everything hard froze. Even the mouse when I changed workspace back to Mint.

Perhaps going back to the 4.18 kernel won't do anything, but it's worth a shot.

Short of the crashes the game runs perfectly, so playing it is no problem at all. But it is frustrating when it suddenly CTD and I lose progress.

Edit: Played a lot of hours today and the game never crashed, so here's hoping it wasn't just an outlier (compared to previous) and that downgrading to 4.18 kernel actually helped. Couldn't find any suitable bugs in the DXVK bugtracker.
Shmerl May 26, 2019
Quoting: PangaeaPlayed a lot of hours today and the game never crashed, so here's hoping it wasn't just an outlier (compared to previous) and that downgrading to 4.18 kernel actually helped. Couldn't find any suitable bugs in the DXVK bugtracker.

If you think it's dxvk related, you can mention it here: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/issues/138
Shmerl May 27, 2019
Novigrad harbor at night:

The city is really massive, amazing job they did there! A pity though you can enter only a few building, and can't get to any high towers (or at least I didn't find a way yet).
Shmerl May 27, 2019
Found one way! Novigrad rooftops:

I managed to get on top of one of the smaller towers:

Some roof hopping from there works, but you can't really get far.
Pangaea May 27, 2019
Impressive work, especially in light of how easily Geralt dies to falls :P

CDPR did great work with the city, and also the whole area around it. Would be cool to be able to enter more buildings, or every one of them, but the amount of work that would entail... :shudders: One can still enter a decent chunk, and there is a lot to do in the city.

In some locations in the countryside I wanted to have a loooong dive into the ocean, but typically it's not that easy to find safe areas to dive from. Cliffs aren't steep enough so you can't jump far enough out. Glad there isn't a death counter in the game :D

Wouldn't mind a view like this where I live.

Shmerl May 27, 2019
Funny dialog between two Dwarves in Farconers (Novigrad):

Quote­— Know what irks me most about Novigrad? The fuckin' proportions. Stairs too high, chairs too narrow, tankards too small. And the wenches're too bleedin' large. And when I walk down the street, I'm ever only starin' at someone's arse!
— That part's not all bad...

Spoiler, click me

Pangaea May 28, 2019
For what it's worth, I made a post about my crashing issues over on https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/issues/138. I don't know if they were truly DXVK-related, but Philip Rebohle is in a much better to judge that than I am. And if they are, maybe he can put in a fix for whatever is wrong.

Funny comments you posted above btw. Not seen that myself. Have seen another one that isn't quite as humorous, about a woman and a child, where the mother is happy about the child lying straight to her face, just like his dad does (or did when alive). This was in the poorer section of Novigrad.

NG+ feels a bit unbalanced btw. Despite having a Witcher gear sword, it takes enormous amounts of hits to take down some enemies, even drowners on my own level (or below) takes something like 8-10 hits to kill.

While exploring I came across a "bird". Either the damage numbers hovering are wildly incorrect (not taking into account armour reduction?), or the beast had something like 150,000 hitpoints. Each hit for 1200-ish damage (as listed at least) barely visibly moved the life bar. I'm sure I hit the thing at least a 100 times.

Think I was level 45 at the time, and the "bird" is 52. Came across a lvl 54 leshen too, which was tough as all hell. Especially when a bunch of wolves spawned. Took a while.....

Sorry about the UI being present here, but I quite liked the sight :)

Shmerl May 28, 2019
Yeah, from what I've heard, NG+ is basically supposed to be super hard mode. But I wish they provided more granular difficulty settings in general, like Pillars of Eternity for example.
wvstolzing May 28, 2019
Quoting: PangaeaNG+ feels a bit unbalanced btw. Despite having a Witcher gear sword, it takes enormous amounts of hits to take down some enemies, even drowners on my own level (or below) takes something like 8-10 hits to kill.

I wonder if NG+ is ever good for anything other than goofing around in the first levels of a game. Though I've _heard_ that 'Nier: Automata' expands on the idea very creatively (which isn't something that could work for every type of story, of course).
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.