You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «15/178»
  Go to:
malek69 Jul 3, 2017
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: malek69https://github.com/jozefkucia
now vulcan

His last commit was more than 2 weeks ago: https://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/search?s=J%C3%B3zef+Kucia;st=author
yes 20 days https://github.com/wine-mirror/wine/commits?author=jozefkucia&since=2017-06-01T00:00:00Z&until=2017-07-01T00:00:00Z
Mblackwell Jul 3, 2017
Quoting: kaiman
QuoteI also added a bug report for the black/red textures and missing vegetation issue: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43264

That's probably the most annoying bug in there for me, though I am under the impression that things improved with the updated sample_c_lz patch.

One thing I noticed, though it may be pure coincidence: if the camera gets really close to a face, the textures look quite okay. Unfortunately I do not remember in which cutscene/conversation this was most evident.

Btw., did anyone check if the nvidia beta 384.47 blob does anything to improve things over earlier versions?

I am doubtful but I will check when I have time.
Sir_Diealot Jul 3, 2017
Hi there.
I've been playing TW3 quite successfully on Linux using wine-staging 2.11 as it is shipped on Arch Linux.
At the moment this is mesa 17.1.4, xf86-video-amdgpu 1.3.0 and a AMD RX 560 graphics card.

I've played around ten hours in White Orchard without major issues. You can see the problems I encountered and noticed here: View video on youtube.com

Another bug can be seen here: View video on youtube.com
This is a Rotfiend in Velen that is not recognizable at all. I call him Fred.

@Shmerl, what is the graphics performance monitor you are using there?

I encountered a system freeze in Velen. If someone wants to reproduce this, here is the save file:
https://freeshell.de/owncloud/index.php/s/JBk7bUssFkkpWLO
Edit: password: witcher
Available for 1 month

Just turn left, you should see a cart with two lootable items. It always freezes my machine when I approach that.
Maybe someone with Nvidia graphics can try?
Be warned that it causes a hard lockup on my machine. Only the music keeps playing, but I have to hit the power button.
Shmerl Jul 3, 2017
Quoting: Sir_DiealotHi there.
I've been playing TW3 quite successfully on Linux using wine-staging 2.11 as it is shipped on Arch Linux.
At the moment this is mesa 17.1.4, xf86-video-amdgpu 1.3.0 and a AMD RX 560 graphics card.

Welcome to the thread. I see you also have the dark ground issue in Velen.

Quoting: Sir_Diealot@Shmerl, what is the graphics performance monitor you are using there?

Regular GALLIUM_HUD.

Set this variable for example, before launching Wine:

GALLIUM_HUD='.dfps:120,cpu+GPU-load:100,cpu0+cpu1+cpu2+cpu3+cpu4+cpu5+cpu6+cpu7:100,.ddiskstat-rd-sdaX+diskstat-wr-sdaX'

Tweak that according to the number of your cores, and the name of your disk device (instead of sdaX).

For more details on usage, run for example:

GALLIUM_HUD=help glxgears
Sir_Diealot Jul 3, 2017
I didn't really notice the dark ground issues because I lack any comparison.
Yes, the ground looks a bit odd in places, but it's hard to tell what is normal and what isn't. I'm not even sure the ground in Khaer Morhan in the beginning is quite as it should be.

Thanks a lot, I didn't know GALLIUM_HUD this existed...
I also had to set vblank_mode=0 to disable vsync to get any interesting results.
I'll have to try vblank_mode=0 in games as well...
GLXgears is really totally useless as benchmark, the number of FPS depend heavily on how large it is being displayed :)
Over 2.7k on 1080p, more than 6k when it's as small as possible :)
sr_ls_boy Jul 3, 2017
Quoting: Sir_DiealotI didn't really notice the dark ground issues because I lack any comparison.
:)

That's the spirit! Don't look at it as a bug but a feature and keep on playin' !
ardorhb Jul 3, 2017
You easily can ignore the few places with "ground errors" in the beginning but it becomes quit an problem in Velen. The completly black ground there really disturbs the atmosphere.

Sadly my coding skills are far to low for Wine developments but I'm still trying to find an intermediate solution.
Shmerl Jul 3, 2017
Quoting: ardorhbYou easily can ignore the few places with "ground errors" in the beginning but it becomes quit an problem in Velen. The completly black ground there really Disturbs the atmosphere.

Yep, that's why I stopped playing after completing all there is to do in White Orchard and Vizima palace. That ground bug is just too annoying.
Cmdr_Iras Jul 4, 2017
Quoting: ardorhbYou easily can ignore the few places with "ground errors" in the beginning but it becomes quit an problem in Velen. The completly black ground there really disturbs the atmosphere.

Sadly my coding skills are far to low for Wine developments but I'm still trying to find an intermediate solution.

Shame, I guess Im waiting a few more point releases to see if W3 comes up. I can take the odd graphical artifact but not the whole ground missing. However the work being done here by he Wine devs is impressive.
ziabice Jul 5, 2017
I finally upgraded to wine-staging 2.11 and tried the game. Runs flawlessy but slow (I'm below specs so this is expected), but has a complete dark area right in the first scene, where Geralt is taking a bath when the game starts. The complete black area is (I suppose) where's the bed with Yennefer in it. I tried the game at low and medium detail.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.