Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «33/178»
  Go to:
Shmerl Oct 10, 2017
Opened a bug here.
beko Oct 17, 2017
I became weak. After buying no game without native Linux version for years I couldn't resist any more on this gem. The Witcher 3 GOTY was dead cheap on GOG.com so I gave it a spin. Works reasonable good with Wine-Staging 2.18 on my rig. Well, I'll be in my bunk.

[users-only]

…and do be fair: It was announced and advertised for Linux, but CD Project RED never delivered. In fact the TW2 port disaster, which I did pre-order back then, hold me from pre-ordering TW3. Guess that was a good idea.[/users-only]
Shmerl Oct 17, 2017
Quoting: bekoWorks reasonable good with Wine-Staging 2.18 on my rig.

Note that with Nvidia blob performance is suboptimal at present. AMD / Mesa perform much better for TW3 in Wine.

And by the way, TW2 port is quite good, not a disaster. At least if you played the current version.
14 Oct 18, 2017
I played TW2 entirely in Linux from start to finish. I think I had one crash the whole campaign.
Shmerl Oct 19, 2017
Did anyone manage to run Script Merger for TW3 in Wine? It uses a bunch of FOSS tools, so I wonder why the didn't make the merger itself open source.
beko Oct 19, 2017
Quoting: ShmerlNote that with Nvidia blob performance is suboptimal at present. AMD / Mesa perform much better for TW3 in Wine.
I really can't complain. Fought with the movement controls but that seems to be a common issue. Found many posts discussing this. Tweaking platformgameplay.ini and forcing it in the options to 30fps fixed this for me too. Now it's responsive and I can actually control without jumping off cliffs all the time.

Still fiddling with the 3d settings but I'm also good with the current result.
QuoteAnd by the way, TW2 port is quite good, not a disaster. At least if you played the current version.
Please don't dig this out again. I was there and it needed months to work out all the issues. People were playing to that date with just wine already and had a better experience. Like me.

This is my first try with TW3 and wine-staging and while I know that wine came a long way it seems to be the perfect moment to give it a spin. This works _now_ better then the TW2 port ever did for me before I lost interest in playing it at all on Linux.
Shmerl Oct 19, 2017
Quoting: bekoI was there and it needed months to work out all the issues.

Sure. They released beta quality first, so those who were playing it should have been aware of it. Problem is they didn't explain it at first, and only later pointed out that it's beta and they need to work issues out. I don't mind really, they did a goood job. Like you said, I already played the game in Wine by that time, but I still appreciate that they made the "native" (eON wrapped) release.
beko Oct 19, 2017
I was _not_ on the beta channel. This thing was released as "final". How would I, the consumer, be aware of this?Claiming it's just "BETA" later.. just a lame excuse for "We screwed up big time".
Shmerl Oct 19, 2017
Quoting: bekoI was _not_ on the beta channel. This thing was released as "final". How would I, the consumer, be aware of this?Claiming it's just "BETA" later.. just a lame excuse for "We screwed up big time".

I can't say about channels (not using Steam), but their builds published through their own site (and listed in their official Linux bug tacker) were clearly marked as beta. At least anyone involved there was aware of it. They released the game on GOG after it was out of first beta cycle, though they still had a few issues to fix, and they provided several updates after that. Regardless, they never said it was final especially in the early versions, not sure where you got such impression.
beko Oct 19, 2017
Impressions were "OUT NOW" ads and "Install" button on Steam (and Steam does feature proper beta channels).
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.